Russia postpones rocket launchJanuary 27th, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The launch of a Russian Proton-M carrier rocket with a Dutch telecommunication satellite onboard scheduled for Friday has been postponed indefinitely for technical reasons, Russian space agency Roscosmos said.
This is the second delay in the rocket’s launch, which was initially scheduled for Dec 26, but then postponed for technical reasons.
“Today we are planning to carry out operations to dismount the Proton-M rocket from the launch pad… and transport it to the integration building,” a statement on the Roscosmos website said.
“The date and time of the launch will be established after all registered problems are fixed and additional tests are held,” the statement read.
The SES-4 satellite to be delivered to the orbit by the Russian rocket will be the largest and most powerful in the group of SES satellites, built by US company Space Systems/Loral for the Dutch operator Ses World Skies.
It is designed to provide various satellite services to customers in the Middle East, Europe, Africa and Latin America. Equipped with 52 C-band and 72 Ku-band transponders, the satellite has a life span of 15 years.
- Russia launches Proton-M rocket with Dutch telesat - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia to launch US satellite - Mar 25, 2012
- Russia puts US satellite in orbit - Mar 26, 2012
- Russia launches two telecom satellites - Dec 11, 2011
- Space centre chief loses job over failed launches - Sep 03, 2012
- Russia plans three space launches in August - Jul 30, 2011
- Russia launches European telecom satellite - Dec 27, 2010
- Russia to launch three Glonass satellites Friday - Nov 04, 2011
- Russia launches US satellite from floating pad - Jun 01, 2012
- Signal received from missing Indonesian satellite - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia delays 2012 military launches - Sep 04, 2012
- Roscosmos to make third attempt to launch Soyuz spacecraft - Jul 13, 2011
- Two Russian space officials sacked over satellite loss - Dec 29, 2010
- Russia launches US communications satellite - Oct 20, 2011
- Russia launches US satellite - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: dg, east europe, europe africa, hellip, ku band, latin america, launch pad, life span, moscow, orbit, ria novosti, rocket launch, roscosmos, russian proton, russian rocket, russian space agency, satellite services, satellites, space systems loral, telecommunication satellite