R.K. Sinha takes over as BARC directorMay 19th, 2010 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 19 (IANS) Eminent scientist R.K. Sinha Wednesday took over as director of the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) from Atomic Energy Commission chairman Srikumar Banerjee, an official said.
Sinha was director of the Reactor Design & Development Group and Design Manufacturing & Automation Group in the organisation. He took over from Banerjee at a small ceremony in BARC here in the afternoon.
He was overseeing the programmes for new advanced reactors under design and development at BARC to utilise thorium. These include the Advanced Heavy Water Reactor, which produces most of its power from thorium and encompasses several passive safety systems.
The reactor has been designed to be robust against equipment malfunction, human errors and even insider’s malevolent acts, and other innovations under Sinha’s guidance.
These technological innovations would subsequently enable a large-scale deployment of such advanced nuclear power plants close to populated areas.
Outgoing director Banerjee has nearly four decades of research experience and is among the foremost experts in material science and technology areas in the country.
- New AEC chairman Sinha expert on n-reactor technology (Profile) - Apr 30, 2012
- R.K. Sinha takes over as new AEC chairman, DAE secretary - Apr 30, 2012
- Conference on strategic electronics at Hyderabad - Nov 23, 2011
- Nuclear technology will aid people, farms and factories: BARC director (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- PM to launch fuel reprocessing plant - Jan 05, 2011
- India to phase out Cirus nuke research reactor soon - Dec 01, 2010
- 86 percent work on Kalpakkam N-plant complete: Official - Apr 30, 2012
- Asian nuclear conference starts Monday - Oct 09, 2010
- 'India gaining from N-renaissance in Asia' - Oct 11, 2010
- BARC offers technology to turn sewage into fertiliser - Jul 28, 2012
- ECIL launches two high-tech defence products - Apr 12, 2012
- IAEA chief Yukiya Amano to visit Mumbai, Kalpakkam - Jan 14, 2011
- MPs panel visits atomic sites in Mumbai - Jul 06, 2010
- Srikumar Banerjee takes over as AEC chief - Nov 30, 2009
- Sekhar Basu new BARC chief - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: atomic energy commission, atomic research centre, automation group, bhabha atomic research centre, commission chairman, eminent scientist, equipment malfunction, foremost experts, heavy water reactor, malevolent acts, manufacturing automation, material science and technology, nuclear power plants, passive safety, r k sinha, reactor design, safety systems, scale deployment, srikumar, technological innovations