Reputed websites under hacker threat: CERT-InMay 27th, 2012 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Websites of reputed government and private organisations are under threat from hackers, the Computer Emergency Response Team India (CERT-In) has said, warning users to be extra cautious while using the internet.
“It is observed that some hacker groups are launching distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on websites of government and private organisations in India. The attacks may be targeted to different websites of reputed organisations,” CERT-In, the national nodal agency for responding to computer security incidents, said in an advisory on its website.
“These attacks are being launched through popular DDoS tools and can consume bandwidth requiring appropriate proactive actions in coordination with service providers,” it said.
The agency has asked users to deploy adequate security systems to deal with these attacks originating through DDoS.
As a counter measure, it has also suggested that the users review traffic patterns and if there is any rise, this should be reported to the agency.
In a recent written reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot said 112 government websites, including that of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL), were hacked in just three months - Dec 2011 to Feb 2012.
These hacked websites belonged to the agencies in the governments of Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Kerala, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, Sikim and Manipur.
- 112 government websites hacked in three months: Pilot - Mar 15, 2012
- Over 270 government websites hacked till July - Sep 01, 2012
- Rising phishing cases open career prospects for ethical hackers - Jul 24, 2011
- Government websites must follow security guidelines: Pilot - Dec 14, 2010
- 40 South Korean websites hacked - Mar 04, 2011
- CIA website hacked - Feb 11, 2012
- Five arrested for hacking anti-WikiLeaks computers - Jan 27, 2011
- India creating architecture to ensure cyber security: NSA - May 16, 2012
- 'Multi-pronged strategy need to tackle cyber terror' - Aug 28, 2012
- 40 major South Korean websites hit by DDoS attacks - Mar 04, 2011
- India, US sign accord to secure their cyber spaces (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- 8,000 cyber attacks warded off during CWG: NSA - May 16, 2012
- India fears cyber attack by Pakistani hackers - Aug 26, 2010
- Indian IT experts devise technique to fight deadly bots - May 17, 2012
- British police arrest five young men for taking part in 'Anonymous' web attacks - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: adequate security, bharat sanchar nigam ltd, bsnl, computer emergency response, computer emergency response team, computer security incidents, ddos tools, denial of service, emergency response team, government websites, hacker groups, hacker threat, Lok Sabha, nodal agency, private organisations, proactive actions, sanchar nigam ltd, sikim, traffic patterns, written reply