Reports of alien sightings to be binned in BritainMarch 1st, 2010 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 1 (IANS) Britain’s defence ministry is fed up with mounting reports of alien sightings and says it will destroy all future reports in order to save staff time.
Reports of sightings have been kept for 30 days before being binned after Britain’s official UFO (unidentified flying object) investigation unit and hotline were closed down in December.
The ministry received 634 reports of sightings from people last year, the highest total since 1978 when there were 750, and well above the average of about 150 reports a year over the past decade.
Now, a secret memo obtained by a journalism lecturer has revealed official exasperation at having to deal with UFO reports.
“The dedicated UFO hotline answer phone service and e-mail address serve no defence purpose, and merely encourage the generation of correspondence of no defence value,” says the memo obtained by David Clarke of Sheffield Hallam University under the country’s freedom of information act.
“Accordingly, these facilities should be withdrawn as soon as possible.
“Reported sightings received from other sources should be answered by a standard letter and should be retained for 30 days and then destroyed, largely removing any future FoI [Freedom of Information] liability and negating the need to release future files post-November 30, 2009,” the memo says.
Clarke said: “This is the final rubber-stamping of the decision - they just want to totally wash their hands of the UFO business altogether. It’s just been a millstone around their necks ever since the Cold War. They have decided that whatever they do, it reflects badly on them.”
Britain’s defence ministry has decided to make its historic UFO records public and has released five instalments so far through the National Archives - about a third of the total.
- Britain's Ministry of Defence to destroy all future UFO reports - Mar 01, 2010
- Churchill 'ordered cover-up of RAF plane's UFO encounter during WWII' - Aug 05, 2010
- UK Ministry of Defence's bid for alien spaceship technology - Sep 20, 2009
- Files from 1950's reveal that Winston Churchill ordered UFO coverup - Aug 06, 2010
- UFOs serious "area of study", says US academic - Apr 13, 2010
- UFO hovered over Will-Kate wedding venue, shows video - Apr 28, 2011
- Britain secret file says massive UFO spotted - Aug 05, 2010
- MoD department that investigated UFO threat for 50 years 'axed' - Dec 04, 2009
- British fighter jets chase UFO, shows video - Apr 11, 2010
- UFO encounters exposed as UK's Public Record Office releases 'X-Files' - Feb 18, 2010
- Indians getting preference over black students at Oxford University - Dec 07, 2010
- No archive on strange sea monsters: Royal Navy of the UK - May 17, 2010
- Mysterious object filmed in 1964 in Oz outback not UFO, says Brit govt - Aug 05, 2010
- UK's UFO sightings more than triple this year - Sep 20, 2009
- Ma Foi to target mid-sized corporates for assignments - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: alien sightings, answer phone, britain london, david clarke, defence ministry, e mail address, exasperation, freedom of information, freedom of information act, instalments, investigation unit, london march, millstone, national archives, secret memo, sheffield hallam university, staff time, time reports, ufo hotline, unidentified flying object