Remains of Parthian fort discovered at Kalan Dam site in northwest IranNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:48 am ICT by admin
“Following the completion of studies on the post-Sasanian ruins, we came across architectural remains at the site date back to the Parthian dynastic era (248 BCE-224 CE),” said Rezvani.
Earlier discovery of a post-Sasanian fort at Kalan Dam in Malayer had paved the way for archaeologists to study 1,000 years of architectural developments in the area.
Rezvani told the Persian service of Cultural Heritage News (CHN) Agency that archaeological studies on the fort has revealed that it was in use from the Saljuq (1037-1187 CE) to Qajar (1781-1925 CE) periods.
After various renovations, especially during the Ilkhanid era, it was transformed into glassworks in the period and an industrial centre in the Zandieh era, he said.
He said a three-metre wide wall made of bricks measuring 37 cm X 37 cm and mortar was also unearthed, demonstrating the strength of the fort in the Parthian period.
Patapeh, which is 25 meters high, is the highest mound, which has so far been studied, the Circle of Ancient Iranian Studies (CAIS) quoted the CHN report, as saying. (ANI)
- Partho-Sasanian architectural remains found in Iran's Ultan Fortress - Aug 17, 2009
- Nomadic settlements discovered in western Iran - Mar 19, 2009
- Ancient Persian cairn wall found in Iran - Aug 29, 2011
- Ancient child's coffin unearthed in southwestern Iran - Jan 04, 2010
- Archaeologists discover remains of Parthian City in Iran - Oct 14, 2009
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Archaeologists discover 200 rare artifacts in southern Iraq - Jan 26, 2008
- Excavations unearth Ilkhanid-era wall near Tehran - Jan 20, 2009
- 2,000-year-old palace discovered in Mexico - Sep 02, 2011
- Archaeologists uncover Philistine temple ruins in Goliath's hometown - Jul 30, 2010
- Greek style architecture found in ancient Iranian City - Jun 26, 2008
- Gujjar group appeals for restoration of Gurjar-era monuments - Dec 25, 2011
- Imperial period Roman ship unearthed near Rome - May 01, 2011
- Harappan relics found in Haryana village - Apr 12, 2012
- I am a Malay, says Malaysian ex-PM with Indian roots - Mar 08, 2011