Reactor pressure vessel inspected at KudankulamJune 30th, 2012 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 30 (IANS) Atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) Saturday commenced the pre-service inspection of the reactor pressure vessel of the first 1,000 MW reactor at the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP), a senior official said.
“We started the pre-service inspection the reactor pressure vessel. The inspection would take around 10-12 days to get over. The inspection would form the baseline date for future inspections apart from providing necessary data on the status of the reactor pressure vessel,” KNPP site director R.S. Sundar told IANS over the phone.
He said the inspection is an automated one and the inspecting equipment is under the water in the pressure vessel.
According to Sundar, post inspection, the reports will be submitted to Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) to get the permission for loading the fuel.
Queried about the status of other reports submitted to AERB, he said discussions are on with the regulator.
“Two rounds of meetings got over. We are providing necessary clarifications sought by the regulator,” Sundar added.
NPCIL is building two 1,000 MW reactors - supplied by Russia - in Kudankulam in Tirunelveli, around 650 km from Chennai.
- NPCIL inspection at Kudankulam to end soon - Jul 14, 2012
- Crucial NPCIL-atomic energy regulator meet Aug 3 - Jul 28, 2012
- Kudankulam n-plant a step closer to going on stream - May 12, 2012
- Kudankulam to comply with AERB stipulations - Sep 17, 2012
- Removal of dummy fuel assemblies begins at Kudankulam - May 25, 2012
- Major pre-fuel loading exercise over at Kudankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Atomic regulator's nod for fuel loading at Kudankulam (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Work at Kudankulam quickens for first reactor - Apr 07, 2012
- Petitions against Kudankulam reactors dismissed by Madras High Court - Aug 31, 2012
- Kudankulam plant to start commercial operations in August - May 18, 2012
- Change of guard at Kudankulam N-plant - Apr 30, 2012
- Kudankulam inspections on after removal of dummy fuel - Jun 04, 2012
- Kudankulam project gets Madras High Court's green signal (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- No boiler blast at Kudankulam: Nuclear Power Corp. - May 07, 2012
- AERB clears fuel loading in Kudankulam nuclear reactor - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: atomic energy regulatory board, atomic power plant, baseline, chennai, clarifications, india ltd, kudankulam, necessary data, npcil, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power project, power plant operator, pre service, reactor pressure vessel, reactors, russia, sundar, tirunelveli