Rahul Khullar to take charge of TRAI MondayMay 13th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar will Monday take charge as the chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
His appointment has been approved by the government.
Khullar will replace J.S. Sarma for a three-year term, sources privy to the development told IANS.
The appointment comes at a critical time when TRAI’s recommendations on the spectrum auction is being criticised by telecom firms and analysts alike.
The regulator has recommended, among other proposals, a reserve price of Rs.3,622 crore for 1 MHz pan-India spectrum, which is around 10 times higher than the price at which 2G licences were allocated in 2008 under then Telecom Minister A. Raja.
The recommendation came in the wake of the Feb 2 Supreme Court order cancelling 122 telecom licences issued in 2008.
The operators have also warned of a 100 percent hike in tariffs if the proposals are accepted.
Khullar is a 1975 batch IAS officer and had worked closely with then finance minister Manmohan Singh during 1991-1993 as his private secretary.
- Telecom Commission to meet Thursday on TRAI recommendations - May 23, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Pawar to head EGoM on spectrum - Jun 29, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- GSM players to contest TRAI theory of minor tariff hike - May 07, 2012
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- Telecom Commission to meet again Saturday on spectrum pricing - May 24, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- TRAI sticks to high reserve price for spectrum auction - May 14, 2012
- Telecom Commission seeks clarity on TRAI proposals - Apr 30, 2012
- Re-farming of spectrum will harm incumbents: Assocham - May 19, 2012
- Telecom tariffs may rise by 90 paise in metros: Study - May 22, 2012
Tags: appointment, commerce secretary, critical time, crore, feb 2, finance minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, private secretary, proposals, raja, sarma, spectrum auction, tariffs, telecom firms, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, term sources, trai