Quick blood test for Alzheimer’s detection in offingJanuary 7th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 7 (IANS) Scientists are developing a quick and simple blood test for early detection of Alzheimer’s disease.The test could open the way to developing drugs, which could halt the disease in its tracks.
It could also be modified to detect illnesses ranging from multiple sclerosis to Parkinson’s to cancer, say scientists at Scripps Research Institute in the US, the journal Cell reports.
Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia affect millions worldwide. There is no cure and existing drugs do not work for everyone, according to the Daily Mail.
The Scripps team fabricated thousands of molecules hoping that some would react with antibodies in the immune systems of Alzheimer’s sufferers.
When they ran blood samples over the manmade molecules, three produced strong reactions. Further samples showed the test to be 93 percent accurate.
So far, only a small number of people have been studied, but the team hopes to have results from thousands more within a few months.
Study co-author Thomas Kodadek said: “We should be able to see disease perhaps three to five years prior to symptoms.”
“Patients at that early stage would provide a far higher chance of potential drugs showing clear effects in clinical trials,” he said.
“The current state, where demented people are being treated, is pretty bad since no drug is going to reverse neurodegeneration.”
- Groundbreaking technology to detect Alzheimer's developed - Jan 07, 2011
- Now, blood tests can detect Alzheimer's disease before symptoms occur - Feb 12, 2011
- Inability to detect sarcasm, lies may be early sign of dementia - Apr 16, 2011
- Delivering drugs directly to brain may help Alzheimer's sufferers - Mar 21, 2011
- Scientists develop technique for early detection of Alzheimer's disease - Apr 23, 2011
- Brain scans to detect Alzheimer's decades ahead - Jul 12, 2012
- Scientists produce compound that may treat Parkinson's disease - Feb 12, 2011
- New device can detect infectious disease quickly - Mar 01, 2012
- New discovery shows promise against Parkinson's, Alzheimer's - Dec 08, 2010
- Jab that halts Alzheimer's - Dec 03, 2011
- Scientists isolate gene that protects against Alzheimer's - Jul 13, 2012
- Junk food could also damage brain, says study - Aug 30, 2012
- 30-second test to predict Alzheimer's on the anvil - Nov 12, 2010
- Advance towards early detection for Alzheimer's and cancer - Sep 09, 2010
- Fat levels in blood may lead to Alzheimer's - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,