Qualcomm launches 3G radiophone project for children in IndiaAugust 31st, 2011 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) US-based wireless technology services provider Qualcomm has launched a radiophone project in an initiative that seeks to combine community radio with mobile phones for educating children, especially of the migrant population.
“The 3G wireless technology offers new opportunities to dramatically improve learning, particularly among disadvantaged children,” Qualcomm vice-president Shawn A. Covell said.
“The radiophone project, in association with Seasam Workshop India, is a powerful example of how 3G mobile phones and wireless connectivity can help bridge the digital divide and promote social inclusion in India and throughout the world,” she added.
Seasam Workshop India, which spearheads the ‘Galli Galli Sim Sim’ initiative, seeks to bring together technology and community voices to provide access and opportunity to marginalised populations.
The pilot project in Gurgaon has a radio show format, designed to deliver content that can be localised and replicated across community radio stations.
“Initially the ‘Galli Galli Sim Sim’ show will be broadcast on ‘Gurgaon Ki Awaaz Samudayik Radio Station’ to an estimated 30,000 listeners and the entire pilot project will be funded by us,” Sesame Workshop India Trust managing trustee Sashwati Banerjee said.
Under the programme, more than ten families and 30 classrooms in Gurgaon will be provided with 3G mobile phones, speakers and 3G wireless connectivity, enabling listeners to listen to the ‘Galli Galli Sim Sim’ programme.
This pilot also will study the scalability and sustainability of both the radio show format and its increased distribution through the mobile platform, Banerjee said.
- Radio show for Gurgaon school kids - Sep 27, 2011
- Mobile, projectors to educate kids on health, hygiene in Gujarat - May 15, 2012
- Cartoon show launches entertaining maths tutorials - Dec 11, 2010
- Care, classes for labourers' children at Games sites (With Images) - Apr 23, 2010
- 'Galli Galli...' new season aims to teach kids about teamwork - Oct 07, 2010
- 4G, 3G to grow parallelly in India: Ericsson - Sep 01, 2011
- US tech firm to set up branch in Chinese city - Dec 23, 2011
- Villagers turn radio jockeys in Gurgaon - Mar 15, 2010
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Rs.10,000 computer-phone could hit market by 2010-end - Oct 26, 2009
- Post-Sikkim quake: ham radio, bamboo applications recommended for northeast - Nov 15, 2011
- Qualcomm sells 26 percent stake to Global Holding and Tulip - Jul 30, 2010
- Bharti Airtel buys 49 percent of Qualcomm's India business - May 24, 2012
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Frequencies that touch lives: India's growing community radio stations (Feature) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 3g mobile phones, 3g wireless, community radio stations, community voices, covell, disadvantaged children, educating children, galli galli sim sim, gurgaon, marginalised, migrant population, mobile platform, pilot project, qualcomm, radio show, sesame workshop, sim show, social inclusion, technology services provider, wireless connectivity