Probe into death of prisoner playing hide and seekFebruary 20th, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kunming (China), Feb 20 (Xinhua) The death of a prisoner while playing a game of hide-and-seek in China’s Yunnan province was being probed by a 15-member investigation team that includes five netizens.
Li Qiaoming, 24, a resident of Yuxi City, was taken into custody in Jinning Jan 30 for cutting trees without authorisation. He was hospitalised Feb 8 and died four days later from severe brain injuries.
According to the Jinning public security bureau, Li was fatally injured while playing hide-and-seek with other inmates, one of whom supposedly reacted angrily when his hiding-place was found by Li. According to the bureau, Li was pushed and struck a wall as he fell.
Li’s parents and many netizens said they found the official account hard to believe. A story about the incident appeared in a local newspaper in the provincial capital of Kunming Feb 13.
“I’ve never heard of such a funny joke,” said Liu Yun, a netizen from Kunming, on the www.163.com forum.
A 15-member commission with five netizens, three reporters, four public security and prosecutors’ staff, two company employees and a college student, went to the Jinning Detention House Friday.
Fengzhimoduan and Bianmin, two well-known blog writers in Yunnan, were director and deputy director of the commission.
The Yunnan Provincial Publicity Department posted a notice on major Yunnan-based websites Thursday afternoon, seeking people to join in the investigation. More than 510 people called or applied online.
“It’s the first time in Yunnan, and even in China, to ask netizens to participate in an investigation,” said Gong Gei, a provincial publicity department official.
“We don’t have a conclusion. We invite the netizens to go to the scene and make their own judgement,” he said.
- Chinese man with migraines shocked to find he had knife in his brain for 4-yrs - Feb 17, 2011
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Chinese gets death sentence for killing 11 people - Jul 28, 2012
- Four killed in China bus crash - Feb 01, 2012
- Two girls die in a box - Apr 10, 2012
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- When police mistook teachers for cheats in China - Nov 22, 2011
- 31 abducted infants rescued in China - Jun 01, 2012
- Fighting in Myanmar leads 10,000 to flee to China - Aug 28, 2009
- Chinese police recapture top human trafficker - Nov 11, 2011
- China launches probe into missing teenagers - May 24, 2012
- Red light over China's erring staff to check graft - Jan 17, 2011
- Chinese man buries son alive over homework - Apr 20, 2012
- China to India car rally next year - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: authorisation, brain injuries, cutting trees, deputy director, funny joke, hiding place, investigation team, kunming china, liu yun, member commission, netizen, netizens, playing a game, provincial capital, public security bureau, publicity department, thursday afternoon, www 163 com, xinhua, yunnan province