Pregnancy related diabetes on riseDecember 5th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 5 (IANS) Gestational diabetes mellitus or GDM is a form of diabetes diagnosed during pregnancy that lasts throughout its duration. Women with GDM are at increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and their babies are more likely to have a high birth weight and suffer birth trauma.
The report, Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, 2005-06, showed that in 2005-06, 4.6 percent women aged 15-49 years, who gave birth in hospital, were diagnosed with GDM.
“This amounts to more than 12,400 women and their babies affected,” said Mardi Templeton of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare’s (AIHW) Cardiovascular, Diabetes and Kidney Unit.
The report found the incidence of gestational diabetes among all Australian women in the 15-49 year age bracket increased by over 20 percent between 2000-01 and 2005-06, according to an AIHW release.
The risk of being diagnosed with gestational diabetes increases with age - from one percent among the women aged 15-19 years to 13 percent among women 44-49 years of age.
“Women born overseas are at greatest risk of being diagnosed with gestational diabetes, with twice the incidence rate of women born in Australia,” she said.
- Metabolic status prior to pregnancy predicts subsequent gestational diabetes - Oct 13, 2010
- Weight gain during pregnancy 'ups gestational diabetes risk' - Feb 23, 2010
- Cola intake heightens diabetes risk among pregnant women - Dec 01, 2009
- American women of Chinese, Korean heritage 'at increased gestational diabetes risk' - Dec 12, 2009
- Food insecurity 'ups risk of greater weight gain, pregnancy complications' - May 04, 2010
- Best time for birth of twins is 37 weeks - Jun 15, 2012
- 15 percent of Indian women below 50 are obese: Azad - Nov 30, 2009
- People with gum disease at increased diabetes risk - Dec 15, 2009
- Diabetic women 'have more C-sections and fetal complications' - Sep 18, 2010
- Rise in temperature can lead to stillbirths - Dec 16, 2011
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Non oral contraceptives carry higher clot risks - May 11, 2012
- Obesity-high blood sugar combo creates pregnancy risks - Apr 12, 2012
- Gestational diabetes patients face increased recurrence risk in later pregnancies - Jul 12, 2010
- Childhood kidney disease linked to maternal diabetes, obesity - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: age women, australian institute of health, australian institute of health and welfare, australian women, birth trauma, diabetes increases, gestational diabetes, gestational diabetes mellitus, incidence rate, type 2 diabetes