PM leaves for Moscow for India-Russia summitDecember 15th, 2011 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday left on a three-day visit to Moscow, where he is to hold a summit meet with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev when the two nations will sign key agreements in the defence, health and science, and technology fields, besides discussing key deals in nuclear energy and hydrocarbons sectors.
The prime minister, who will be in Moscow till Saturday, will also hold a one-on-one meeting with Russian premier Vladimir Putin, who is at the centre of a political upheaval over allegations of rigging in elections to Duma Dec 4 following which protests have erupted on the streets of Moscow and otehr cities.
Among the key issues that Manmohan Singh will discuss with Medvedev is a deal on setting up of units III and IV of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tamil Nadu, where villagers are protesting for the last 10 months against the first two units following the Japanese Fukushima nuclear plant disaster early 2011.
Defence deals such as the $2.34-billion Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier and its scheduled delivery in December 2012, the fifth generation fighter aircraft, and multirole transport aircraft for the military are expected to figure in the discussions.
- India announces PM's visit to Russia Dec 15-17 - Dec 08, 2011
- Amidst political unrest in Russia, Manmohan to meet Medvedev, Putin - Dec 14, 2011
- Government taking Kudankulam concerns 'seriously': PM - Dec 15, 2011
- After India-Russia summit, PM says Kudankulam opening in weeks (Intro Roundup) - Dec 17, 2011
- After India-Russia summit, PM announces Kudankulam opening in weeks (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- PM returns home after India-Russia summit (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Energy, economy high on PM's agenda in Russia - Dec 15, 2011
- PM leaves for home after whirlwind Russia visit - Dec 17, 2011
- PM arrives in Moscow for India-Russia summit - Dec 15, 2011
- PM to focus on energy, economy during India-Russia summit (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- India, Russia to focus on n-energy, defence during summit - Dec 07, 2011
- PM to hold talks with Medvedev, Putin - Dec 16, 2011
- Manmohan, Medvedev pledge to scale up civil nuclear ties - Mar 29, 2012
- India, Russia sign Kudankulam project funding protocol (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- India, Russia discuss more Kudankulam projects (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: admiral gorshkov aircraft carrier, defence deals, defence health, dmitry medvedev, fifth generation, fighter aircraft, generation fighter, hydrocarbons, manmohan, manmohan singh, nuclear plant, nuclear power plant, political upheaval, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russia summit, russian president, technology fields, transport aircraft, vladimir putin