Plastic surgeons carry out second partial face transplantApril 13th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 13 (IANS) A plastic surgery team, led by Dr B. Pomahac, carried out a partial face transplant at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston - the second such transplant to be performed in the US.
The seven plastic surgeons, as well as an ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgeon, along with nurses, anaesthesiologists and residents spent 17 non-stop hours replacing the mid-face area of a patient.
The patient’s hard palate, nose, facial skin, muscles for facial animation, upper lip, and nose were all replaced.
The New England Organ Bank (NEOB), after talking with the donor family, obtained consent for the donation of the tissue graft from the face.
For face donations, family consent is required - being a registered organ and tissue donor, details of which can be included in a driving license, is not enough.
Kevin O’Connor, senior vice president, NEOB, said: “Advances in transplantation only happen when there are individuals and families who can see past their own tragic circumstances and agree to donation.”
“A gift such as this holds the promise of health and hope for a patient in need and it was New England Organ Bank’s honour to work with such a remarkable donor family,” he added.
The patient wishes to remain anonymous and therefore there will be no new conference or interviews.
Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) is a leading transplantation centre of excellence with a worldwide reputation, according to a BWH release.
In 1954, a kidney was successfully transplanted from one brother to another by Joseph Murray and his team at the BWH. Dr. Murray went on to receive the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1990.
- Second full-face transplant performed in Boston - Apr 29, 2011
- Family identifies first US face transplant donor - Dec 21, 2010
- Man in US is first to get full-face transplant - Mar 22, 2011
- Two Sri Lankan families swap livers for transplant - Jun 07, 2011
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012
- Organ donors need to know outcomes of surgery: Court - Aug 19, 2012
- Family gets 1,150 pounds for heart 'donation' blunder - Jan 22, 2012
- Azad calls for organ donation encouragement drive - May 03, 2011
- Customised bone replacements to uplift facial surgery - Jul 13, 2010
- Decide soon on woman's liver transplant plea, court asks government - Jun 15, 2012
- Full-face swap man can't wait to gorge on lamb dinner - Apr 25, 2010
- Minister inaugurates organ transplant unit - Jun 12, 2010
- Singapore doctors promote organ donation - Sep 03, 2011
- 'Lack of organ donors affecting liver transplants' - Jan 19, 2012
- India faces huge donor crunch in liver transplants: Experts - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: bwh, donor details, donor family, dr murray, ear nose and throat, ent ear nose, face area, facial animation, family consent, hard palate, joseph murray, neob, new england organ bank, nobel prize for medicine, partial face transplant, s hospital, throat surgeon, tissue donor, tragic circumstances, worldwide reputation