Pioneering American Jet Demolishes Earlier Hypersonic Flight Record And Establishes A New RecordMay 28th, 2010 - 7:25 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
May 28, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): An investigational American jet has established a new record for hypersonic flight. It has flown for in excess of 3 minutes at Mach 6- an incredible six times the speed of sound. The earlier record for a hypersonic scramjet burn was only 12 seconds.
The X-51A Waverider in question was discharged from a B-52 Stratofortress off the southern California coastline on Wednesday.
Its scramjet engine speeded up the vehicle to Mach 6. It soared independently for 3 minutes and 20 seconds, before it decelerated, subsequent to which the test was annulled.
Charlie Brink, who is an X-51A program administrator with the American Air Force Research Laboratory at Ohio, stated that they are thrilled to have achieved several of the X-51A test points during its initial hypersonic assignment. Brink also declared that this is an enormously momentous technological advancement in engine technology.
Joe Vogel is Boeing’s director of hypersonics, which was responsible for the manufacture of the Waverider for the American Air Force, in collaboration with Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. Vogel has emphatically stated that this groundbreaking technological sophistication has established the basis for countless hypersonic uses such as scouting, aerial assaults, business transportation and admission to space.
- Unmanned US hypersonic craft fails - Aug 16, 2012
- US jet shatters hypersonic flight record - May 28, 2010
- Jet Breaks Hypersonic Record: X 51A Waverider Reaches Mach 6 Speed - May 28, 2010
- Hypersonic Plane Fails Mach 6 Attempt - Aug 17, 2012
- US Army's 'WaveRider' can fly more than 6 times faster than speed of sound - May 01, 2009
- Russian deputy PM backs hypersonic bomber - Aug 27, 2012
- Hypersonic jets that fly at five times the speed of sound - Nov 05, 2010
- P&W; delivers engines for first Indian Air Force C-17 transporter - Jul 09, 2012
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- Soon, fly from Oz to NYC in 12 mins flat or soar like a bird in see-through craft! - Sep 24, 2010
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- GoAir orders Pratt & Whitney engines for 72 Airbus aircraft - Feb 15, 2012
- P&W; wins deal for engines in C-17 plane for India - Dec 19, 2011
- US's hypersonic Falcon missile test a dud? - Apr 27, 2010
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: annulled, B-52, engine technology, flight record, force research laboratory, hypersonic flight, hypersonics, joe vogel, mach 6, men at work, pen men, pratt whitney rocketdyne, program administrator, scramjet engine, southern california coastline, stratofortress, technological advancement, technological sophistication, test points, waverider