Partial solar eclipse Jan 4December 29th, 2010 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) A partial solar eclipse will occur Jan 4, 2011. This will be the first of the six eclipses - four solar and two lunar - that people around the globe will see in the new year. The eclipse will be visible over most parts of Europe, the Arabian peninsula, North Africa and western Asia.
“In India, we will be able to see only a smaller partial eclipse in the northern regions, but the obscuration will be minimal. In Delhi, the sun would hardly be (one percent) covered by the moon,” said Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) director C.B.Devgun.
SPACE is a private organisation working for popularising science among people.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the earth and the sun, thereby totally or partially obscuring earth’s view of the sun.
Devgun said viewing the sun during eclipses requires special eye protection, or indirect viewing methods.
“The sun’s disk can be viewed using appropriate filtration to block the harmful part of the sun’s radiation,” he said.
- India to miss partial solar eclipse - May 31, 2011
- A solar eclipse for penguins, sea leopards? - Jul 01, 2011
- Watch 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 19, 2012
- India to miss 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 20, 2012
- Longest solar eclipse of the millennium begins - Jan 15, 2010
- India to miss total solar eclipse - Jul 11, 2010
- India to witness darkest lunar eclipse Wednesday - Jun 14, 2011
- Total lunar eclipse on Saturday - Dec 07, 2011
- Partial solar eclipse in Delhi, but clouds play spoilsport - Jan 04, 2011
- India to witness partial lunar eclipse - Jun 26, 2010
- Delhiites set to witness darkest lunar eclipse - Jun 15, 2011
- Full moon's luster to be lost during Thursday's lunar eclipse - Dec 31, 2009
- Delhi gears up to watch century's last Venus transit - Jun 05, 2012
- India to witness darkest lunar eclipse June 15 - Jun 03, 2011
- Eastern hemisphere will witness solar eclipse on Jan 4 - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: arabian peninsula, communicators, eclipses, eye protection, filtration, globe, moon, New Delhi, new year, north africa, northern regions, obscuration, part of the sun, partial eclipse, partial solar eclipse, peninsula north, private organisation, radiation, science popularisation, western asia