‘Ozone layer no longer vanishing’September 21st, 2010 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 21 (IANS) The ozone layer is no longer depleting and could recoup its strength by 2048, says a United Nations report.
The phasing out of nearly 100 substances once used in gadgets like fridges and aerosols has stopped the ozone layer from further depletion, the report says.
And it claimed that international efforts to protect the ozone layer have averted millions of cases of skin cancer worldwide.
The ozone layer outside the polar regions is projected to recover to pre-1980 levels by 2048, although the annual springtime ozone hole over the Antarctic is not expected to recover until 2073, reports the Daily Mail.
Ozone in the stratosphere does a vital job by soaking up some of the Sun’s dangerous ultraviolet radiation.
The report is the first comprehensive update in four years on the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and the Montreal Protocol phasing out chemicals which accelerate both ozone layer damage and climate change.
“It (the protocol) has protected the stratospheric ozone layer from much higher levels of depletion by phasing out production and consumption of ozone depleting substances,” said the report.
The report was written and reviewed by 300 scientists and launched on the UN International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
Given that many substances that deplete the ozone layer are also potent greenhouse gases, the Montreal Protocol ‘provided substantial co-benefits by reducing climate change’, it added.
In 2010, reductions of ozone-depleting substances as a result of the protocol, were five times larger than those targeted by the Kyoto protocol - the greenhouse emissions reduction treaty.
- Ozone layer 'no longer disappearing, will return to full strength by 2048' - Sep 21, 2010
- Arctic ozone layer depleted by 40 percent: Experts - Apr 06, 2011
- Unprecedented Arctic ozone loss found - Oct 05, 2011
- Ban calls for cooperation to address environmental challenges - Sep 16, 2010
- Montreal Protocol can be model for climate change talks: Natarajan - Sep 16, 2011
- US, India to convene Joint Task Force on reducing climate damaging HFCs - Feb 24, 2011
- Ozone not healing - Oct 21, 2011
- Marine life under threat from UV radiation - Jul 27, 2012
- 'Laughing gas' leaves ozone layer in splits - Aug 28, 2009
- Without global pact, ultraviolet radiation would have singed us by 2065 - Mar 20, 2009
- Boffins discover key compound of ozone depletion - Jul 23, 2010
- Life under threat as more ultraviolet radiation to hit earth - Sep 07, 2009
- Ozone protecting HFCs may increase global warming - Jun 23, 2009
- Ozone layer will recover in future, predict scientists - Apr 11, 2009
- Ozone hole in 2008 is larger than last year - Oct 08, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,