Over two million personal computers shipped in third quarterDecember 25th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 25 (IANS) About 2.27 million personal computers (PCs) were shipped in India during the third quarter this year, reflecting a growth of 1.7 percent as compared to the corresponding period last year, according to a recent IDC’s India Quarterly PC Tracker 2008 third quarter survey. IDC, provider of market intelligence, advisory services and events for the information technology and telecommunications sector, said desktop shipments fell 8.9 percent while notebook shipments grew 37.8 percent during July-September, compared to the same period in 2007.
Hewlett-Packard had the highest market share of 19.7 percent in the third quarter, followed by HCL with 9.8 percent and Dell at third spot with 9.6 percent, the survey stated.
In desktop shipments too, Hewlett-Packard continued to lead the market in the third quarter, followed by HCL and Acer in second and third spots respectively.
HP, Dell and Acer were the top three players in notebook PC shipments in this period.
“The contribution of the ‘Top 5′ PC vendors grew from 47.2 percent in 3Q 2007 to 56 percent in 3Q 2008,” said Sumanta Mukherjee, IDC India analyst at its computing products research division.
For the nine-month period ending September, overall PC shipments grew 6.4 percent over the same period the previous year to touch 6.43 million units.
According to the survey, notebook shipments grew 54.5 percent to touch 1.87 million while desktop shipments fell to 4.56 million, the growth falling 5.7 percent.
“The current subdued buying sentiment has led to inventory pile-up with channel partners, adversely impacting finances,” Mukherjee added.
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- India's computer sales up 33 percent in first quarter - May 23, 2010
- Computer sales in India up 24 percent in July-September quarter - Nov 26, 2009
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- Personal Computer sales grow 2.5 percent in April-June - Aug 17, 2011
- Computer sales up 7 percent in January-March quarter - Jun 12, 2009
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- HP eyes 21.5 percent market share in consumer notebook segment - Jun 20, 2012
- HP posts decline of quarterly profit, sales - Feb 23, 2012
- Dell Consents To Fork Out $100 Million To Resolve The Accusation Of Swindle - Jul 23, 2010
- Android's big share of global tablet shipments in Q4 2011 - Jan 27, 2012