Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till MayJuly 5th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) The total number of subscribers opting for mobile number portability (MNP) has risen to 50.16 million, with Karnataka receiving the maximum number of 5.8 million requests till the end of May, says TRAI.
MNP allows users to switch operators while retaining their mobile numbers.
“By the end of May 2012, about 50.16 million subscribers have submitted their requests to different service providers for porting their mobile number,” a Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) report said Wednesday.
Karnataka was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan where 4.8 million and 4.6 million subscribers opted for change of service provider while retaining the mobile telephone number.
MNP was implemented across the country last January while the pilot launch of the service took place in Haryana Nov 25, 2010.
To opt for MNP, a customer has to pay a maximum of Rs.19 to the new operator for ‘porting’ the number and remain with the new operator for at least three months.
The customer has to send an SMS from the existing phone to 1900. A unique porting code is sent by the existing provider. An application then has to be filled with the new service provider mentioning the code for transferring the connection.
India currently has over 929 million mobile phone subscribers.
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- 29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 30, 2012
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portability - Oct 20, 2011
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
- Over 41 mn mobile users want to change operators - May 03, 2012
- Over 38 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Mar 09, 2011
- Over 85 lakh go for new mobile number - Jun 14, 2011
- Over 64 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Apr 29, 2011
- Over 155 lakh customers opt for mobile number portability - Sep 09, 2011
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- TRAI rules out compensation for number portability - Dec 03, 2010
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: 6 million, andhra pradesh, haryana, karnataka, launch, least three months, maximum number, million subscribers, mnp, mobile number portability, mobile numbers, mobile phone subscribers, mobile telephone, New Delhi, rajasthan, service provider, service providers, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telephone number