Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portabilityOctober 20th, 2011 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) About 180.59 lakh (18.1 million) mobile phone subscribers have opted for mobile number portability (MNP) with Gujarat receiving the maximum number of 17.63 lakh requests till the end of August, according to official data released Thursday.
MNP allows users to switch operators while retaining their mobile numbers.
“Mobile Number Portability requests increased from 155.48 lakh subscribers at the end of July 2011 to 180.59 lakh subscribers at the end of August 2011,” the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said in a statement.
“In the month of August 2011 alone, 25.12 lakh requests have been made for MNP,” it added.
Gujarat was followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka where 14.77 lakh and 14 lakh customers, respectively, requested for the service.
MNP was implemented across the country in January 20 while the pilot launch of the service took place in Haryana Nov 25, 2010.
To opt for MNP, a customer has to pay a maximum of Rs.19 to the new operator for ‘porting’ the number and remain with the new operator for at least three months.
The customer has to send an SMS from the existing phone to 1900. A unique porting code is sent by the existing provider. An application then has to be filed with the new service provider mentioning the code for transferring the connection.
- Over 155 lakh customers opt for mobile number portability - Sep 09, 2011
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- 29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 30, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- Over 64 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Apr 29, 2011
- Over 85 lakh go for new mobile number - Jun 14, 2011
- Over 38 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Mar 09, 2011
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- Over 41 mn mobile users want to change operators - May 03, 2012
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- Over 2.3 lakh MNP requests turned down in Delhi till July - Aug 19, 2011
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: 1 million, gujarat, haryana, january 20, karnataka, launch, least three months, maharashtra, maximum number, mnp, mobile number, mobile numbers, mobile phone subscribers, month of august, New Delhi, number portability, service provider, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai