Obama launches initiative for hybrid-electric carsMarch 20th, 2009 - 4:40 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 20 (DPA) US President Barack Obama announced a $2.4-billion plan Thursday to promote hybrid vehicles and reduce dependence on foreign oil.
The initiative allows companies to apply for grants administrated by the Department of Energy to develop better batteries for hybrid electric vehicles and related technologies and components.
Obama announced the plan while visiting electric power company Southern California Edison’s electric vehicle centre in Pomona, just outside downtown Los Angeles.
“Show us that your idea or your company is best-suited to meet Americas challenges, and we will give you a chance to prove it,” Obama said.
The funding comes from Obama’s $787-billion stimulus package designed to pull the economy out of the recession and create jobs. The programme includes $400 million to support building infrastructure for hybrid and electric vehicles.
California, the country’s most populous state and heavily dependent on cars for getting around, has led the United States in seeking fuel efficient cars and has some of the toughest anti-pollution laws.
But the state has been hit particularly hard by the recession, facing budget shortfalls and has one of the highest home foreclosure rates in the country.
- Auto firms bullish on electric vehicles after government plan - Sep 06, 2012
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked - Mar 16, 2012
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Super-light car bags $5m fuel efficiency prize - Sep 17, 2010
- Toyota sells one-millionth Prius in U.S. - Apr 06, 2011
- Fleeced by autos? Electric cars could be the way out - Aug 12, 2010
- 2011's Most Fuel-efficient Cars Vie For Buyers Attention - Jan 19, 2011
- Obama blames growing demand in India, China for rising gas prices - Jul 30, 2011
- California abuzz over Obama's coming visit - Mar 18, 2009
- President Barack Obama's Official Shows Way In Green Energy Utilization, Drives Toyota Electric Car - Aug 27, 2010
- Government approves plan to promote hybrid vehicles - Aug 29, 2012
- US losing competitive edge to India, China, Germany: Obama - Oct 02, 2010
- Maruti hands over green vehicles for CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- Soon, used electric car batteries to generate cheap household power - Jul 30, 2010
- Air hybrid vehicles could halve fuel consumption in future - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: barack obama, batteries, budget shortfalls, department of energy, dependence on foreign oil, dpa, electric vehicle, foreclosure rates, fuel efficient cars, home foreclosure, hybrid electric cars, hybrid electric vehicles, hybrid vehicles, initiative, pollution laws, populous state, recession, related technologies, southern california edison, stimulus package