Now you can add smell to sight-sound fun of TV gameJanuary 20th, 2011 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 20 (IANS) ‘Smell-O-Vision’ is a plug-in device for computer games that emits a variety of odours, depending on the scenario.If your character is crawling around the jungle, it whiffs out the unmistakable smell of pine.
Should you find yourself at sea, the smell of the water will be instantly delivered by the ‘personal scent delivery system’.
The ScentScape has around 20 pre-loaded smells and is programmed to respond to exactly what is happening on screen, the Daily Mail reports.
But its makers hope that the in-built editing application will allow gamers to make their own scents and share them with other users.
The $69.99 device from California-based Scent Sciences has a ‘volume control’ feature to ensure you are not overwhelmed by the fumes.
Additional ’smell cartridges’ such as holiday and summer mean it will also be possible to add smells to home videos. Other cartridges could be created for aromatherapy and other applications.
“ScentScape is an innovative digital scent delivery system, which provides extra dimension of scent to gaming, entertainment and other consumer markets,” Scent Sciences says on its website.
“Simply connect the Plug-N-Play unit to any compatible PC or gaming console for an instant experience of sight, sound and smell.”
Technicians have for years tried to find a way to combine smell with vision, often with ridiculous consequences.
- Now toaster-like device emits scents to accompany game or video - Jan 21, 2011
- A look at three low-cost tablets (To go with tablet market story) - Aug 12, 2012
- TV images to come alive with evocative aromas - Oct 21, 2010
- Now, steak-scented billboard to entice hungry drivers! - Oct 03, 2010
- Lady Gaga's perfume to smell of 'blood, sweat and semen' - Jan 28, 2011
- Largest video game controller unveiled in London - Jan 19, 2012
- Now measure your sleep pattern with wireless (With Images) - Jul 26, 2012
- Reliance Communications unveils first CDMA tablet - Mar 12, 2012
- 8 in 10 web browsers vulnerable to hackers, criminals - Feb 19, 2011
- New lab-on-a-chip blood testing device gives results in less than 30 mins - Jan 10, 2011
- I like a guy who smells good: Rihanna - May 03, 2012
- Soon, a 'USB' for medical diagnosis - Nov 30, 2010
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- The "smelling diets" that can help you to fight flab - Aug 13, 2009
- Fruit Bats use internal maps to navigate - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: compatible pc, computer games, consumer markets, control feature, daily mail, delivery system, gaming entertainment, home videos, jungle, london jan, mail reports, odours, personal scent, plug n play, ridiculous consequences, scents, tv game, unmistakable smell, volume control