Now, inflatable collar to replace helmetOctober 22nd, 2010 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 22 (IANS) The ‘Hvvding’ helmet is an airbag ‘collar’ that springs into action in an eye blink — covering the skull and neck of a cyclist in the event of an impact.
Roughly translated in English as the ‘Chieftain’ - the Hvvding was designed over six years by two Swedish industrial design students.
Designer Anna Haupt said the company hoped the airbag would hit the shops across Northern Europe and Britain in spring next year.
It will first cost around 260 pounds but Haupt believes a lot of people have been crying out for an alternative to the helmet, reports the Daily Mail.
The team developed a system using a collar containing a folded airbag which only inflates when sensors inside detect a sudden jolt.
A small helium gas cylinder inflates the collar in just a hundredth of a second and it remains inflated for several seconds after impact.
The device has been ‘tuned’ by recreating hundreds of accidents using crash test dummies and real riders.
“The airbag is designed as a hood that surrounds and protects the rider’s head,” she added.
The hood itself is made from a durable nylon fabric that can withstand the scraping against the road.
“A lot of people don’t like a bicycle helmet because of the way it looks and what it does to your hairstyle once you have taken it off,” she added.
- Hovding Airbag Cyclist Helmet goes on sale - Aug 20, 2012
- Invisible bike helmet finally goes on sale - Aug 20, 2012
- Obesity increases death risk in vehicle crashes - Dec 22, 2010
- Honda to recall 273,000 vehicles in US - Dec 03, 2011
- Oz cyclists strip naked to highlight vulnerability of riders on roads - Mar 07, 2011
- Armani unveils Italian Olympic collection - May 17, 2012
- Motorcycle helmets could make you hard of hearing - Jul 31, 2011
- Gordon Murray Designed Car Clears Crash Impact Test - Jan 20, 2011
- Helium shortage sends prices sky high - Aug 27, 2012
- Helmets don't contribute to road safety: Research - Nov 08, 2010
- Helmets must for bikers, pillion riders: Transport minister (Goa Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Bikes for cyclists finally arrive but stuck at Delhi airport - Sep 14, 2010
- Toyota recalls over 300,000 vehicles to replace airbag sensor - Apr 22, 2011
- Honda to expand recall for faulty airbag inflators in certain vehicles - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: accidents, bicycle helmet, chieftain, crash test dummies, daily mail, durable nylon, eye blink, gas cylinder, hairstyle, helium gas, industrial design students, london, northern europe, nylon fabric, sensors, six years, skull, sudden jolt, swedish industrial design