Now, foreign secretary Rao on TwitterFebruary 11th, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 11 (IANS) Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao Friday opened her Twitter account, becoming the first senior Indian bureaucrat to do so.Her first post went out from her account (www.twitter.com/forsecnrao) at about 12.10 p.m. Friday - “Leaving4NewYork tonite.”
According to a foreign ministry official, Rao will be herself sending out tweets through her Blackberry phone. “It will be mainly used to inform about her events,” he said.
The second tweet sent by Rao was, “Enroute to (Washington) DC. Spkg at The New School NY on India-China on Sat 3.30pm”.
She is accompanying External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to the UN.
Within an hour, she had gathered 150 followers with word of mouth spreading through twitter. “Thank you all for your words of welcome!” she noted.
With this, the ministry of external affairs has taken another big step in the social media web.
The ministry’s public diplomacy division started its own account last year, (www.twitter.com/Indiandiplomacy), which has over 5,800 followers.
- Public Diplomacy division gets social media award - Mar 12, 2011
- Operation 'Safe Homecoming' plays out on Twitter - Mar 04, 2011
- Public Diplomacy Division bags prestigious e-governance award - Oct 28, 2010
- Government's Public Diplomacy Division gets prestigious e-governance award for 2010 - Oct 28, 2010
- MEA's twitter account crosses 10,000 followers - May 18, 2011
- Shashi Tharoor to speak at public diplomacy conference - Dec 08, 2010
- Foreign ministry embraces social media - Mar 16, 2011
- MEA reaches out with Twitter to users' surprise - Aug 16, 2010
- India welcomes Mubarak's quitting - Feb 12, 2011
- India welcomes Mubarak's quitting (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- 70,000 foreign office files declassified - Jun 05, 2012
- Tweeting gives a sense of mission, says Nirupama Rao - Mar 08, 2011
- Indian diplomacy wants to reinvent itself, virtually - Dec 12, 2010
- Nirupama Rao breaks barrier, tweets on Libya and other crises - Mar 02, 2011
- Government denies censorship as Twitter agrees to block imposter sites (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: blackberry, bureaucrat, external affairs minister, followers, foreign ministry, india china, krishna, media web, ministry of external affairs, ministry official, New Delhi, nirupama rao, public diplomacy, sat 3, tweet, tweets, twitter, washington dc, word of mouth