Now a robot helps autistic kidsMarch 9th, 2011 - 8:05 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Mar 9 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A robot has caused a major influence in the life of an autistic child. The child was so withdrawn that she even wouldn’t allow other little girls to hold her hands.
Researchers gave 4-year-old Eden Sawczenko a robot that teaches emotions to children. Well after spending some time with the machine Eden has somehow overcome her problems and she can now hug and show affection.
Her mother, Claire Sawczenko, said that, “She’s a lot more affectionate with her friends now and will even initiate the embrace.”
The robot that did the trick is named Kasper. The robot is capable of showing wide range of emotions and physical contacts including waving the hand, blinking, laughing and frowning. The robot was built by scientists from University of Hertfordshire at the cost of about $2,118.
The researchers have wide range of the robots. Some of the robots can do some really advanced things like playing a computer game with a child and those things. They hope that the robots would eventually be able to help autistic children by keeping them company.
Some experts believe that the study is a very important one and has a promising future.
- Family identifies first US face transplant donor - Dec 21, 2010
- Awareness and empathy can embolden Autistic people (April 2 is World Autism Day) - Apr 01, 2012
- Nao: First robot who has emotions - Aug 12, 2010
- Scientists create robot which registers human emotions - Jul 16, 2012
- Claire Danes to play an autistic woman in 'Temple Grandin' Claire Danes - Feb 05, 2010
- Answers emerge to some mysteries of autism - Oct 21, 2011
- Soon, simple urine test for autism - Jun 04, 2010
- Pet dogs can transform lives of the disabled - Nov 22, 2010
- Cuddle chemical boosts flagging male libido - Apr 09, 2012
- Gwyneth Paltrow offers advice on how to dress your kids - Feb 18, 2011
- Australian school bans kids from hugging - Nov 17, 2010
- Peter Andre 'to attend royal wedding this April' - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Doraemon in Nobita...' a disappointing fare (IANS Movie Review) - Oct 08, 2011
- McCarthy's son misses Carrey - Jun 07, 2012
- Stinking of rotten fish, woman took 10 showers a day - Apr 17, 2012