Notice issued to Delhi Police on Yahoo pleaJanuary 20th, 2012 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday issued notice to Delhi Police on a plea by Yahoo India Pvt Ltd challenging a trial court’s order to prosecute the company for allegedly hosting objectionable content.
Justice Suresh Kait said: “Notice be issued to Delhi Police for Feb 10.”
Yahoo India Pvt Ltd approached the high court challenging the summons issued to the company by a Delhi magistrate’s court in a case of allegedly webcasting objectionable content.
“It is a case where summons were issued without application of mind by the magistrate’s court as there was no material against Yahoo India,” Yahoo India’s counsel and senior advocate Arvind Nigam said.
The court also allowed Yahoo India’s plea that its case be heard separately.
Petitioner Vinay Rai has requested the trial court to remove objectionable contents from 21 websites. Of these, 12 websites are of foreign-based companies.
Metropolitan Magistrate Sudesh Kumar had summoned the accused companies to face trial for allegedly committing the offence punishable under the Indian Penal Code sections 292 (sale of obscene books and material) and 293 (sale of obscene objects to young person).
The trial court observed that the material submitted by the complainant contained obscene pictures and derogatory articles pertaining to various Hindu deities, Prophet Mohammad and Jesus Christ.
- Court quashes summons against Yahoo for lack of evidence (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Foul content on websites hurts religious Indians, court told (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Website content: Google, Facebook plea to be heard Aug 7 (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Court refuses to stay summons against Google, Facebook - Feb 16, 2012
- Delhi High Court quashes trial of Yahoo India - Mar 02, 2012
- Google has right to remove content, court told - Feb 02, 2012
- High court quashes proceedings against Microsoft India - Mar 19, 2012
- Objectionable content on websites: Delhi court adjourns case - Jan 13, 2012
- Court puts off hearing on Google, Facebook pleas - Jan 19, 2012
- Facebook, Google move court against summons (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Court puts off hearing on Google, Facebook pleas (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Court quashes proceedings against Microsoft India (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Centre approves action against sites with objectionable content (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Government to act against sites with objectionable content (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Facebook, Google move court; Delhi Police issued notice - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: arvind, code sections, complainant, delhi high court, delhi police, hindu deities, india pvt ltd, indian penal code, jesus christ, justice suresh, kait, magistrate, objectionable content, objectionable contents, obscene books, obscene pictures, prophet mohammad, sudesh kumar, yahoo india, young person