Norman Borlaug’s death marks end of an era: PMSeptember 14th, 2009 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) Terming the death of agricultural scientist and Nobel laureate Norman Borlaug as the end of an era, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday described him as one with a “towering intellect” who “helped millions of people escape from a life of hunger and deprivation”.
“With the passing away of Norman Borlaug an era has ended, in which he spearheaded a scientific revolution in agriculture,” the prime minister said in a message.
“At a time in the ’60s when the country was facing the spectre of severe food shortages, the introduction of Borlaug’s high yielding varieties of seeds set in motion a technological revolution in Indian agriculture that led eventually to the country achieving self-sufficiency in foodgrain,” he said.
Borlaug developed a type of wheat that helped feed the world, engendering a movement that is credited with saving up to one billion people from starvation.
He was known as the father of the Green Revolution, which transformed agriculture through high-yield crop varieties and other innovations.
“The Green Revolution lifted the spirits of the Indian people and gave them new hope and confidence in their ability to tackle the country’s daunting economic challenges. Borlaug’s impact on India’s science and economy went much beyond the Green Revolution,” the statement said.
Manmohan Singh said, “Borlaug’s life and achievements are testimony to the far-reaching contribution that one man’s towering intellect, persistence and scientific vision can make to human peace and progress.”
“One of Borlaug’s favourite quotations was to ‘reach for the stars’. In doing so, Borlaug helped millions of people escape from a life of hunger and deprivation.”
Borlaug, 95, died Saturday from complications of cancer in Dallas, US.
- Nobel Laureate Norman Borlaug Dies At 95 - Sep 14, 2009
- Punjab gets Borlaug institute of agriculture - Oct 02, 2011
- New institute to usher second green revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2010
- Decks cleared for Borlaug Institute in Bihar - Feb 01, 2012
- India needs another farm revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Innovation can make India food basket of world: Scindia - Feb 13, 2011
- Bio-technology the only way to combat world hunger: Experts - Oct 20, 2011
- Green Revolution pioneer Norman Borlaug dies at 95 - Sep 13, 2009
- PMO directs focus on oilseeds, pulses for next Green Revolution - Sep 16, 2011
- Pawar mourns death of Norman Borlaug - Sep 13, 2009
- India should open retail to spur 'Ever-Green Revolution': US biz - Nov 03, 2010
- Badal wants farm science institute in Punjab - Feb 24, 2010
- Every step being taken to tame inflation: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Economy is strong, we will tackle inflation, infrastructure: PM (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- 'In Borlaug's death, world has lost saviour of millions from hunger' - Sep 14, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,