Nokia’s Chennai unit crosses 500 million-mark in handset-productionMay 5th, 2011 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Mobile handsets manufacturer Nokia Thursday said its manufacturing plant in Chennai has crossed production of 500 million handsets thus reaching a milestone for the company’s manufacturing operations in India and globally.
“We have created a unique record across the world. This is not only a proud moment for us at Nokia, but a major highlight in India’s young and rising electronics manufacturing industry,” said Prakash Katama, director, Chennai factory operations, Nokia India.
“This achievement only proves that with the right kind of organisation focus, employee contribution and government support, India can deliver world-class manufacturing standards and set new benchmarks,” he added.
The handsets manufactured here will go to over 100 countries covering six continents.
“The milestone was achieved in five years of its operations, marking Chennai’s ramp-up among the fastest globally,” the company said in a statement.
The company also said that the 500-millionth phone, a Nokia C3 will be signed by the company’s brand ambassador and bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan and will be made available for auction to consumers through the company’s website.
Nokia will match the amount raised through the auction, and the total amount will be donated to charity.
The company also announced that all the employees at its Chennai manufacturing facility will be gifted with a Nokia C3-00 as a gesture of appreciation for contributing towards achieving this milestone.
Nokia was the first global telecom company to set up a plant in India to produce mobile phones by starting the Chennai facility in January 2006. The company has since grown from a 550-member workforce to a strong 8,000-plus workforce.
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- Nokia to close facilities, cut up to 10,000 jobs worldwide - Jun 15, 2012
- Nokia to reduce worldwide workforce by 4,000 - Apr 27, 2011
- Nokia launches two low-priced handsets - Sep 15, 2011
- Samsung triples India handset output; invests $70 mn - Sep 15, 2011
- India's mobile phone users spoilt for choice - Jun 05, 2011
- China Wireless to set up research centre in India - May 25, 2010
- Nokia India bets on phone-plus services for growth - Sep 20, 2010
- P. Balaji new Nokia India vice president, managing director - Jul 13, 2012
- Huawei to launch 10 to 12 new products - Jun 16, 2011
- Huawei eyes 15 percent market share in handset sales by 2015 - Jun 08, 2011
- Nokia Siemens Networks expands capacity - Aug 10, 2011
- Nokia makes N8 available in India - Sep 30, 2010
- Nokia announces launch of Lumia family phones - Nov 14, 2011
- Nokia to focus on sub-Rs.6,000 category - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: benchmarks, c3, chennai, factory operations, gesture, global telecom, government support, manufacturing industry, manufacturing plant, milestone, millionth, New Delhi, organisation focus, proud moment, s young, shahrukh khan, six continents, support india, telecom company, world class manufacturing