Nintendo to compete with Amazon KindleDecember 11th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Nintendo Company Ltd and a large book publisher HarperCollins have together announced their new project to turn portable games into a reader.
As Amazon Kindle has disappointed gadget fans during holiday season by being sold out and not releasing a new version, this leaves the chance to its rivals to enter e-reader market.
The most influential software and VDO games company in Japan ‘Nintendo’ along with HarperCollins has recently announced to make many “literary classics” available as e-books on the DS portable gaming system.
The book reader is called 100 Classic Book Collection where 100 literary classics from authors such as Shakespeare, Jane Austen and the Brontë sisters are included in the reader.
For the 100 Classic Book Collection, software will take advantage of the Nintendo DS’s touchscreen, allowing users to flip a page by swiping their finger (or the stylus) across the screen. Its priced at £20 ($30) and it will start launching in Britain on December 26 and if the cartridge is successful, Nintendo may expand the number of titles available.
- eBook pirates cash in on Kindle boom - Jan 02, 2012
- India's first e-reader Wink unveiled, supporting 15 languages - Aug 19, 2010
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- Nintendo signs deal with HarperCollins for Shakespeare, Dickens books - Dec 08, 2008
- App allows authors to hold eBook signings from anywhere in world - Apr 19, 2011
- Classic e-novels sales surge this Christmas - Dec 27, 2010
- Kindle best-selling gadget in Britain, US - Jan 01, 2011
- Kindle ebooks outsell paperbacks - Jan 31, 2011
- E-books outsell hardbacks on Amazon - Jul 21, 2010
- Budding authors getting into print with e-books - Feb 11, 2011
- US sues Apple over e-book price fixing scheme - Apr 12, 2012
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Now, Amazon's Kindle to display ads while browsing novels - Apr 18, 2011
- Harry Potter eBooks come to Amazon Kindle library - May 11, 2012
- Apple in price-fixing probe - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: amazon kindle, book publisher, bronte sisters, collection software, december 26, e books, e reader, gadget, games company, gaming system, harpercollins, holiday season, jane austen, kindle, literary classics, nintendo company ltd, nintendo ds, portable games, rivals, touchscreen, vdo