New website to rate best magazinesNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:02 am ICT by admin
Jeremy Brosowsky, the owner of the webiste, was inspired to start this venture because in spite of the fact that he’s an avid reader, he couldn’t find time to read the pile of paid-for magazines because of his hectic schedule. “I wished there was someone who would tell me the five stories in that pile I have to read,” Brosowsky said.
“Now, this website would try to become everyone’s best-read friend, telling people about the best magazines that they can read,” he adds.
Though this website is quite innovative, there have been precedents for the idea. Reader’s Digest became America’s most popular magazine for decades by condensing content to short and easily readable articles. Another example is of “The Week,” the National Review’s weekly magazine summary of news, written with a lot of attitude and wit.
Because the Internet is littered with good ideas that turn out to be bad businesses, online publishing can be especially tricky. So, there can be many issues on an investor’s mind before he starts on an such venture. Aspects like going mass market or niche subscription-based or free and ad-supported, original content or aggregation of other content, would definitetly have t be kept in mind.
But Brosowsky’s latest idea is already attracting interest and nearly one million dollars in venture capital from about 10 investors, including Norman Pearlstine, former editor of Time magazine and now with Carlyle Group.
“I think this new website makes a lot of sense as that’s where the web is going,” magazine analyst Mark Edmiston Edmiston said. (ANI)
- Now access 100,000 books with Pi, India's first e-reading device - Jan 28, 2010
- E-books, e-library - for your reading pleasure - Sep 06, 2012
- At 12, he is newspaper editor, reporter and publisher (with Image) - Jan 02, 2011
- New Indian e-book reader offers 200,000 titles - Sep 21, 2010
- India's first e-reader Wink unveiled, supporting 15 languages - Aug 19, 2010
- New York Times to charge online readers - Mar 18, 2011
- Glossy Al-Qaeda mag offers beauty tips with suicide bombing advice - Mar 14, 2011
- Here's why people read magazines that feature envy-inducing models - Mar 15, 2011
- China examines Google's mapping request - Feb 02, 2012
- Filter content or face blackout, court warns Facebook, Google (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Journal apologises to Chinese swimmer for controversial article - Aug 07, 2012
- Deaf Malaysian draws Assange's portrait - Dec 28, 2010
- Maps on Wikipedia depict people's view: Founder - Nov 18, 2011
- Playboy censors iPad application - Aug 13, 2010
- Summons to 21 websites for hosting objectionable content - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: aggregation, bad businesses, businesses online, carlyle group, edmiston, hectic schedule, magazines, niche, one million dollars, popular magazine, precedents, readable articles, reader s digest, time magazine, venture capital, word abstracts