New telecom policy likely by June: Economic SurveyMarch 15th, 2012 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) The new telecom policy, which is expected to do away with roaming charges for subscribers will be announced by June, the Economic Survey said Thursday.
“The government is in the process of finalizing the new National Telecom Policy (NTP). Draft of the policy was circulated in 2011 for consultation with various stake holders. Views from these stake holders have been received and the same are under consideration,” the survey said.
“NTP is likely to be in place by June 2012,” it added.
The draft policy also proposes to implement one nation full mobile number portability (MNP) along with providing the telecom industry the status of an infrastructure sector, which will help ease credit flow to companies for funding rollout plans or expansion activities.
The draft has been approved by the telecom commission and the Department of Telecom (DoT) is in the process of seeking cabinet approval.
According to DoT secretary R. Chandrashekhar, the draft policy will be sent to the cabinet by March and the department expects to get the cabinet approval by April end.
According to data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), India has 903 million mobile connections as on Jan 31.
- Cabinet likely to discuss National Telecom Policy Thursday - May 24, 2012
- Termination action on 35 telecom licenses by March - Nov 18, 2011
- New telecom policy to be unveiled in January - Nov 04, 2011
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- 'Telecom bills to rise following service tax hike' (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Mar 16, 2012
- 'Telecom bills to rise following service tax hike' - Mar 16, 2012
- DoT extends deadline for receiving comments on draft NTP - Nov 08, 2011
- New telecom policy to make India roaming-free (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- Draft National Telecom Policy hints at a progressive policy: KPMG - Nov 18, 2011
- New Telecom Policy likely to be delayed till June 2012 - Dec 23, 2011
- National telecom policy to be forwarded to cabinet - Mar 30, 2011
- Etisalat advises subscribers to 'port out' - Mar 09, 2012
- DoT now working on broadband spectrum auction - Jul 20, 2011
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
Tags: cabinet approval, chandrashekhar, credit flow, draft policy, economic survey, expansion activities, infrastructure sector, mnp, mobile connections, mobile number, national telecom policy, new telecom, number portability, roaming charges, stake holders, telecom commission, telecom industry, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai india