New NASA software to ease astronauts’ tasks in adverse space conditionsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:12 am ICT by admin
In all cases, accuracy and efficiency improved significantly when using the new overlay system, and all 12 operators found the overlay information extremely helpful in performing the ORU alignment operation. Time to complete the task was also reduced.
James C. Maida, Charles K. Bowen, and John Pace developed the method for use with the Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator, which works in conjunction with the current Space Station Remote Manipulator System (SSRMS).
They presented their findings at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 51st Annual Meeting on October 3 in Baltimore, Maryland.
They concluded that because the graphics are relatively simple and the computational requirements are low, the overlay system could be implemented on existing flight hardware used on the space shuttle and the ISS.
Maida and colleagues said they employed augmented reality techniques to create a graphical informational overlay that can be used in simulations of robotic installation tasks to improve operator performance.
The installation task requires intense concentration by the astronaut to align an external orbital replacement unit (ORU) within one fourth of an inch and half-a-degree at its installation point. (ANI)
- Russia unveils robot for space missions - Mar 07, 2012
- New robotic ultrasound system performs remote ops - Dec 09, 2010
- ISS astronauts take second spacewalk - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian cosmonauts take a six-hour spacewalk - Feb 17, 2012
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- Astronauts use toothbrush to fix space station - Sep 06, 2012
- New crew to ISS to conduct 43 scientific experiments - May 24, 2011
- Sunita Williams completes spacewalk outside ISS - Aug 31, 2012
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
- Space station opens to Tranquility and its picture window - Feb 13, 2010
- NASA's new chatty robot astronaut is a regular on Facebook and Twitter - Aug 31, 2010
- Ammonia leak causes trouble on spacewalk - Aug 08, 2010
- Astronauts complete final spacewalk - Jul 28, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,