New horned dinosaurs found in UtahSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 1:55 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Utah, Sep 22 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists have discovered two species of horned dinosaurs. The discovery is most surprising to scientists. The new species are part of the ceratopsids dinosaurs group.
The species were four legged herbivores with bony frills that rose from the back of their heads. The animals also had horns on their head. Utahceratops gettyi is the largest of the two dinosaurs with a 2.3 meter skull. The huge head compelled the study co-author, Mark Loewen to compare the animal to a giant rhino.
However the other dinosaur, Kosmoceratops richardsoni really amazes scientists. The animal has a large skull that is decorated with bony bells and whistles. The animal has horn on its nose, a horn over each eye, a horn at the tip of each cheek and several other horns running along the animal’s head frill.
Scott Sampson from the University of Utah who was the study leader said the animal’s many horns may have been for attracting partners of other sex rather than for battle.
The fossils were discovered at the ancient “lost continent” of Laramidia. The place was flooded during the Cretaceous. The place is home to several fossils of dinosaurs.
- Two New Dinosaur Species Found In Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Scientists discover bizzare horned dinos on 'lost continent' in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Two New Dinosaur Species Uncovered In The Arid Zone Of Southern Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Scientists Announce the Discovery of Two New Dinosaur Species in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Plant-eating dinosaur with largest horns unearthed - May 29, 2010
- Newly discovered dino 'may be father of Triceratops' - Feb 01, 2011
- New dino species christened 'Mojoceratops' for its 'magic charm' - Jul 09, 2010
- Worlds largest dino fossil site reveals first Asian triceratops - Jan 07, 2009
- New dinosaur species found in China - Aug 29, 2010
- New giant horned dinosaur is actually an ancestor of Triceratops - Jun 16, 2010
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- New horned dinosaur discovered - May 29, 2010
- Scientists identify long lost cousin of T. rex in China - Apr 01, 2011
- Torosaurus And Triceratops Are Same Dinosaur, Researchers Claim - Aug 03, 2010
- Triceratops, Torsaurus same dino at different stages of growth - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: amazes, animals, author mark, bells and whistles, cheek, co author, dinosaur, discovery, fossils of dinosaurs, herbivores, horned dinosaurs, lost continent, many horns, rhino, scientists, scott sampson, skull, study leader, university of utah, utah utah