NASA telescope discovers youngest pulsar to dateNovember 4th, 2011 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Nov 4 (IANS) NASA has announced the discovery of a pulsar estimated to be less than 25 million years old, the youngest ever found.
NASA said in a press release the pulsar was among a group of discovered by international scientists using the agency’s Fermi gamma-ray space telescope, reported Xinhua Friday.
Located some 27,000 light years away in the direction of the Sagittarius constellation, the youngest pulsar, named J1823-3021A, is a millisecond pulsar, a special class of pulsars with a speed of 11,000 rotations per minute.
Pulsars generally tend to be billions of years old, said Paulo Freire, the lead author of the study at the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Bonn (Germany).
“What this means is that we’re looking at the tip of the iceberg of a totally new class of short-lived pulsars,” Freire said during a conference call to announce the discoveries.
A pulsar is a type of neutron star that emits electromagnetic energy at periodic intervals. A neutron star is the closest thing to a black hole that astronomers can observe directly, crushing half a million times more mass than Earth into a sphere no larger than a city. The matter is so compressed that even a teaspoonful weighs as much as Mount Everest.
One group of pulsars combines incredible density with extreme rotation. The fastest of these so-called millisecond pulsars whirls at 43,000 revolutions per minute.
- Crab Nebula shoots off surprising flares - Jan 07, 2011
- Astronomers finding "millisecond pulsars" at astonishing rate - Jan 07, 2010
- Supernova remnant erupts in enormous flares - May 12, 2011
- "Galactic GPS" to detect gravitational waves passing near Earth - Jan 06, 2010
- NASA's Fermi Telescope discovers 16 pulsars in deep space - Jul 03, 2009
- Thunderstorms on Earth hurl antimatter into space - Jan 11, 2011
- Supercomputer solves gamma-ray burst mystery - Apr 08, 2011
- NASA telescope unveils a dozen new pulsars - Jan 07, 2009
- Scientists discover 'dramatic flares, bursts from mysterious pulsar' - Oct 15, 2010
- Very short gamma-ray bursts linked to evaporation of primordial black holes - Nov 04, 2010
- Crab nebula is slowly dimming: Scientists - Jan 14, 2011
- Gamma rays emitting pulsar to shed new light on stellar evolution - Oct 17, 2008
- Black-hole-powered jets create fog of gamma rays - Mar 03, 2010
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory finds youngest nearby black hole - Nov 16, 2010
- Gamma-ray bursts powered by strongest magnetic fields in universe - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,