NASA rover reaches rim of the big Martian crater apAugust 11th, 2011 - 8:29 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Aug 11 (THAINDIAN NEWS) On Tuesday, NASA’s Mars rover Opportunity got to rim of the Endeavour crater, the space agency has announced. NASA released a statement shortly after they received signal from the vehicle. Opportunity has been traveling on Mars for three years now.
The crater is estimated to be 14 miles in diameter. The scientists hope that the crater will offer the opportunity for the rover to take closer look at the rocks of the red planet. If NASA’s predictions are correct, understanding the rocks on the planet will enable them understand the planet which is considered the most habitable after planet earth in the solar system. The rock at the crater is believed to be older than any of the rocks that Opportunity has studied.
Opportunity was launched in 2004 alongside another rover Spirit. The two vehicles successfully landed on Mars but scientists say they have since lost contact with Spirit. NASA gave up its efforts to contact Spirit at the beginning of the year.
Scientists are investigating hypothesis that Mars was once wet and warm. The planet is currently dusty and cold.
The crater has been named Spirit Point in honor of the lost rover.
- Mars Rover Friday abroad Atlas Rocket - Nov 21, 2011
- Mars rover stuck for good but still working hard - Jan 27, 2010
- Mars Rover find traces of mineral gypsum - Dec 08, 2011
- US rover to scout for Mars' habitability - Nov 27, 2011
- NASA picks landing site for next Mars probe - Jul 23, 2011
- One more try to free plucky Mars rover: NASA - Nov 13, 2009
- Curiosity wiggles wheels ahead of first drive on Mars - Aug 22, 2012
- NASA's Mars Orbiter completes 5-yr mark - Mar 10, 2011
- NASA's Mars Opportunity rover getting travel tips from orbiting spacecraft - Dec 17, 2010
- NASA Rover finds clue to Mars past - Jun 07, 2010
- NASA's Spirit Mars Rover may not call home - Jul 31, 2010
- NASA to launch new mission to Mars Saturday - Nov 24, 2011
- Scientists making last attempt to call Mars rover - Jul 31, 2010
- NASA's Mars rover 'Spirit' 'feared lost forever after it passes a yr in silence' - Mar 30, 2011
- 'Missing carbon' may explain reduced density of Mars' atmosphere - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: closer look, diameter, earth in the solar system, endeavour, hypothesis, mars rover opportunity, martian crater, nasa, nasa rover, planet earth, red planet, rim, rocks, rover spirit, scientists, space agency, spirit nasa