Nanomedicine has huge potential in India, experts sayOctober 15th, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) India, with over a billion population, has a huge market potential for nanomedicine, and nano drugs can improve the healthcare system in the country, experts said Thursday.
“Nanotechnology has bright growth prospects in India and other third world countries. Nano drugs help in economisation of medicines as dosage reduces from milligram to nanogram and hence lessens their side effects,” said A.K. Maitra, professor at Delhi University’s chemistry department, at the International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology at Ansal Institute of Technology in Gurgaon.
Maitra said nano drugs can improve healthcare system in the country.
According to him, nano particles in medicine can help deliver drugs directly to the diseased cells in the body, reducing greatly the treatment damage which chemicals do to a patient’s healthy cells.
Amit Dinda, a faculty member with the department of pathology at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, said: “Nano particles can also improve the effectiveness of other treatments such as surgery, radiation and cancer therapy.”
The seminar also discussed applications of nanotechnology in conservation of energy and environment, food industry and saving petrol.
- Bangalore Nano to focus on business opportunities - Aug 28, 2012
- Nano materials can enhance lifespan of machines - Dec 09, 2010
- Amrita unveils drug for neuro tumours - Feb 21, 2012
- New tool can detect deadly anthrax attack in 15 minutes - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian defence research agency plans $110 mn nano foundry - Dec 09, 2010
- India in danger of missing 'nano bus': PM's scientific advisor - Jul 06, 2011
- IBSA to take scientific research cooperation to next level - Feb 22, 2010
- Scientists successfully weigh single molecule - Aug 27, 2012
- Finding paves way for new personalized treatments to target inflammation - Apr 05, 2011
- Nano drug delivery to eliminate transplant failures - Jan 27, 2012
- Soon, a 'nano drug' jab that hits brain tumour's bullseye - Nov 06, 2010
- Drug combo helps protect hearing - Feb 24, 2011
- Cancer-killing medical 'smart bomb' comes closer to reality - Feb 18, 2011
- Eavesdropping on cells' chats with nano-sensors - Jul 18, 2011
- Nanostructures lend cutting edge to antibiotics - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,