Most Earth-like planet fit for habitation, but neighbour might beNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:24 am ICT by admin
Ever since the planet’s discovery in April, scientists have been busy using atmospheric and geological models to work out with more accuracy the size and location of the habitable zone around the red dwarf star Gliese 581.
Franck Selsis at the Astrophysics Research Centre at the University of Lyon and his colleagues modelled what the atmosphere of an Earth-style planet would be like at different distances from the star.
The researchers have found that the planet Gliese 581c is too hot to support life.
“Gliese 581c is probably hotter than Venus. We would never say Venus is a second Earth,” Nature magazine quoted Selsis as saying.
He, however, said that Gliese 581d might just make it into the right region from the star.
In another work, Werner von Bloh at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and his colleagues modelled the geology of these planets to assess how that would generate different atmospheres in different locations.
The model assumes that both Gliese 581c and Gliese 581d have the same geological composition as Earth, and have a carbon cycle.
Bloh’s analysis also shows that Gliese 581c is too close to its star to be habitable, but Gliese 581d might be able to support some primitive forms of life.
Selsis and Bloh’s studies will be published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics. (ANI)
- 'Earth-like' planet may not exist - Oct 14, 2010
- Chances of life on newly discovered Earth-like planet '100pc' - Sep 30, 2010
- Most habitable Earth-like planet discovered - Sep 30, 2010
- Was Oz-Indian scientist first to discover recently found Earth-like planet? - Oct 12, 2010
- One of two planets around Gliese 581 may indeed by habitable - Dec 14, 2007
- Earth-sized planets found beyond solar system - Dec 21, 2011
- Venus has an ozone layer too - Oct 10, 2011
- Most Earthlike planet yet found may have water and life - Apr 22, 2009
- Scientists discover first Earth-Size planets outside the Milky Way - Dec 21, 2011
- Saturn moon may have aliens - Nov 24, 2011
- NASA finds 1,235 planets that could have extra-terrestrial lifeforms - Mar 30, 2011
- Red, green and blue colours are best to find Earth-like planets - Feb 24, 2011
- Recreating planetary sounds from Mars, Venus - Apr 03, 2012
- NASA's Spitzer detects light of alien 'Super-Earth' - May 09, 2012
- New 'super-earth' 40 light years away might have water - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: astronomy and astrophysics, astrophysics research, atmospheres, bloh, carbon cycle, climate impact research, colleagues, earth style, geological models, habitation, journal astronomy, nature magazine, neighbour, potsdam institute, red dwarf star, star gliese