More people buying laptops in IndiaFebruary 27th, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The Indian personal computer (PC) market crossed 6.5 million shipments, while laptop sales doubled to nearly 1.8 million units in 2007, said IT research firm IDC India. “The notebook PC shipments touching 1.8 million units reinforces the increasing acceptance of laptops as the preferred choice for a large number first-time PC buyers,” Kapil Dev Singh, country manager of IDC India, said in a statement.
In overall sales, combining PC and laptops, HP remained number one with a market share of 21 percent, followed by HCL at 13 percent and Lenovo at 10 percent in terms of unit shipments.
HP remained the top player in the desktop PC market as well last year, again followed closely by HCL and Lenovo.
However, HCL remained the most preferred choice in India in terms of commercial desktop PC, while in consumer desktop PC, the leader was HP followed by HCL and LG.
Notebook PC shipments touched almost 1.8 million units in 2007 against 0.98 million in 2006.
In notebook unit shipments, the topper was HP yet again with a market share of 37 percent in 2007 followed by Lenovo and Acer with market shares of 16 and 10 percent respectively.
- India's computer sales up 33 percent in first quarter - May 23, 2010
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- Personal Computer sales grow 2.5 percent in April-June - Aug 17, 2011
- Computer sales in India up 24 percent in July-September quarter - Nov 26, 2009
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- Strong iPad shipments drive tablet market growth - Aug 03, 2012
- Over two million personal computers shipped in third quarter - Dec 25, 2008
- Computer sales up 7 percent in January-March quarter - Jun 12, 2009
- Android's big share of global tablet shipments in Q4 2011 - Jan 27, 2012
- Intel looking for channel partners for all-in-one computers - Jul 18, 2012
- Personal computers sales grew 18 percent last fiscal - Jul 28, 2010
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: 5 million, acer, consumer desktop, desktop pc market, dev singh, hcl, idc, laptop sales, laptops, lenovo, market share, market shares, New Delhi, notebook pc, pc shipments, personal computer pc, preferred choice, time pc, topper, unit shipments