Moon to be biggest, brightest May 6May 2nd, 2012 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Get ready for the moon’s most prominent and spectacular appearance of the year May 6, as it will shine at its brightest and look the biggest.
This happens when the full moon coincides with the moon’s closest approach to Earth. The moon is reaching what is known as its “perigee”, the closest approach to earth in its orbit.
“It will appear 14 percent brighter than the average full moon and also the year’s biggest,” said C.B. Devgun, of Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE).
He said the biggest and brightest moon is definitely not to be associated with natural disasters in any way.
“All that will happen is the moon will appear brighter and exert more influence on the tides due to its increased gravitational force. There is nothing to worry about this activity,” he added.
- Moon to be brightest Sunday - May 05, 2012
- Brightest moon shines Saturday night (Lead) - Jan 31, 2010
- Celestial treat on R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Moon to be biggest, brightest Jan 30 - Jan 28, 2010
- Look up, see the biggest, brightest moon tonight - Jan 30, 2010
- Could 'supermoon' trigger tidal waves on March 19? - Mar 09, 2011
- Watch out for Jupiter, Moon conjunction Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Moon to come closest to earth Sunday night - May 06, 2012
- Moon comes closest to Earth (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Supermoon not to have devastating effects, say Indian scientists - Mar 19, 2011
- This Saturday moon will appear bigger, brighter! - Mar 15, 2011
- Earth will see bigger, brighter Moon Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- Watch out for Geminid meteor shower Wednesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Saturn shines brightest, biggest Monday - Mar 22, 2010
- Is the Earth headed for a Moonageddon in 2 weeks? - Mar 04, 2011