Moon to be biggest, brightest Jan 30January 28th, 2010 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 28 (IANS) Don’t forget to watch the moon on Saturday. The moon will be closest to the earth on that day and will appear to be bigger and brightest of the year, a scientist said Thursday.
Explaining the reason, director SPACE (Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators) C.B. Devgun said: “Some full moons are genuinely larger than others and the one on Saturday will be huge.”
The moon will be 15 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than we will see for the rest of the year, he said.
“This is because the moon’s orbit is an ellipse with one side 50,000 km closer to earth than the other. In the language of astronomy, the two extremes are called ‘apogee’ (far away) and ‘perigee’ (nearby).
“On Jan 30, the moon becomes full, three hours after reaching perigee, making it bigger and brighter than we are going to see for the rest of 2010,” said Devgun.
The moon at perigee will look bigger than it looks in all other positions, as the apparent size of closer objects is always more.
“As this is the second full moon of the month, this will also be a blue moon,” said N.S. Raghunandan Kumar, general secretary of the Planetary Society of India.
- Brightest moon shines Saturday night (Lead) - Jan 31, 2010
- Look up, see the biggest, brightest moon tonight - Jan 30, 2010
- Moon to be biggest, brightest May 6 - May 02, 2012
- Moon to be brightest Sunday - May 05, 2012
- This Saturday moon will appear bigger, brighter! - Mar 15, 2011
- Could 'supermoon' trigger tidal waves on March 19? - Mar 09, 2011
- Celestial treat on R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Watch out for Jupiter, Moon conjunction Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Moon comes closest to Earth (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Supermoon not to have devastating effects, say Indian scientists - Mar 19, 2011
- Earth will see bigger, brighter Moon Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- Moon to come closest to earth Sunday night - May 06, 2012
- Hundreds throng to watch Supermoon phenomenon in India - Mar 20, 2011
- Is the Earth headed for a Moonageddon in 2 weeks? - Mar 04, 2011
- Saturn shines brightest, biggest Monday - Mar 22, 2010
Tags: apogee, apparent size, astronomy, blue moon, closer to earth, communicators, ellipse, extremes, full moon, full moons, general secretary, India, jan 28, New Delhi, orbit, planetary society, science popularisation, scientist, space science