Mobile call tariffs to hike even further: MittalSeptember 6th, 2011 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Mobile call tariffs, which were hiked by many telecom operators a couple of months ago, are expected to witness further increase in the coming months back as the operators would try to offset the lower revenue from rural markets, said Bharti Airtel chairman Sunil Mittal said.
In rural markets, consumers typically make fewer phone calls than in cities and towns, Mittal said while speaking at an industry event here, citing rising pressure on margins and increasing costs to have forced the operators to hike tariffs.
With the entry of new players and the ensuing tariff wars, the high priced bidding for 3G auctions, which saw top operators like Bharti Airtel and Reliance Communications coughing up Rs.12,295 crore and Rs.8,583 crore respectively, had led to margins being hammered.
Bharti had, in fact, paid an additional Rs.3,314 crore for acquiring broadband wireless access (BWA) spectrum as well. Bharti’s move to hike call tariffs gave a break to the cut-throat competition among telecom operators offering dirt cheap tariffs.
While speaking on allocation of spectrum, Mittal said the government should be liberal and judicious.
He said the operators have paid far too much to obtain spectrum for offering third-generation mobile phone services.
- TRAI quizzes telcos on tariff hike - Aug 25, 2011
- After Airtel, small operators may increase tariff - Jul 24, 2011
- Reliance Communications hikes call tariffs by 20 percent - Aug 14, 2011
- Idea, Vodafone end one paisa tariff - Jul 28, 2011
- Telcos can fix call tariff depending on market conditions - Aug 26, 2011
- No hike in tariff: MTNL - Aug 03, 2011
- Telecom stocks soar after Airtel hikes tariff - Jul 25, 2011
- Fresh 2G auction: Consumer may be spared large hike - Feb 19, 2012
- Sibal launches 4G, admits 3G has 'not successful' (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- All should be allowed to bid in 2G auction: Bharti Airtel - Feb 08, 2012
- 3G roaming deals issue to affect investor confidence: Airtel - Nov 18, 2011
- Rs.2.15 lakh crore collected as spectrum, licence fee - Aug 17, 2011
- Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT - Nov 28, 2011
- Airtel launches 4G services in Kolkata, first in India - Apr 10, 2012
- GSM players to contest TRAI theory of minor tariff hike - May 07, 2012
Tags: airtel, auctions, broadband wireless, cities and towns, consumers, crore, cut throat, dirt, margins, mobile phone services, New Delhi, reliance, rs 8, spectrum, tariff, tariffs, telecom operators, third generation, throat competition, wireless access