Microsoft unveils new security softwareJune 24th, 2009 - 7:15 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, June 24 (DPA) Hoping to dispel fears about the vulnerability of Windows to viruses and other malware, Microsoft Tuesday released a trial version of a new free security package called Microsoft Security Essentials.
The software is designed to replace the Windows Defender tool that Microsoft released in 2007, but which was widely derided as being inadequate to protect computers from the constant and ever-evolving threats posed by hackers.
Microsoft has been widely criticised for failing to include free and effective security software in its Windows operating systems, which are targeted far more intensely by malicious software than the rival Linux and Apple systems.
The world’s largest software company said that Microsoft Security Essentials is available to the first 75,000 subscribers in the US, Israel, Brazil and China. The software is meant to run in the background, without constantly bombarding users with security alerts or using a lot of system resources.
A full version of the software is expected to become available in September.
- Microsoft announces automatic upgrades for Internet Explorer - Dec 16, 2011
- Buy original software, Microsoft tells people in Lucknow - Apr 06, 2011
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- Users at risk of IE bug, warns Microsoft - Dec 24, 2010
- Microsoft offers free trial of Windows 8 - Mar 01, 2012
- Microsoft issues emergency flaw fix - Aug 03, 2010
- Microsoft releases Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Mar 01, 2012
- Microsoft web browser faces security risk - Feb 01, 2011
- 900m Internet Explorer users at risk as Microsoft warns of security flaw - Feb 01, 2011
- Zune PC software likely to become Windows Phone 7's iTunes - Sep 21, 2010
- Microsoft quarterly earnings top estimates - Apr 20, 2012
- Government May License Internet In Near Future? - Oct 08, 2010
- New malware could knock out antivirus systems - Dec 12, 2011
- Web full of free programs to hack sites, bank details 'at click of a button' - Apr 30, 2011
- Apple asks Russian anti-virus firm to improve OS X security - May 15, 2012
Tags: apple systems, dpa, effective security, free security, june 24, largest software, malicious software, malware, microsoft security, new security, rival linux, security essentials, security package, security software, software company, system resources, trial version, vulnerability, windows defender, windows operating systems