Microsoft unveils new email serviceAugust 1st, 2012 - 4:15 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Aug 1 (IANS) Microsoft Tuesday introduced the preview version of Outlook.com, a new free web-based personal email service with cleaner user interface and integration with social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
“We think the time is right to reimagine email. So today, we’re introducing a preview of Outlook.com,” Chris Jones, a Microsoft corporate vice president, wrote in a blog post, Xinhua reported.
Microsoft said that with Outlook.com, there are 30 percent more messages visible in the inbox than similar web-based email services most users now are used to.
The new email service also enables users to connect to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other on-line social networks, and chat and video call their friends.
Microsoft noted that the Outlook.com service will not scan users’ email content or attachments and sell the information to advertisers, therefore will not show advertisements in users’ personal conversations.
The new Outlook.com service is expected to eventually replace Hotmail, the web-based email service brought by Microsoft in 1997.
According to internet analytics company comScore, Hotmail had more than 324 million unique visitors in June, compared with about 290 million for Yahoo’s mail service and 278 million for Google’s Gmail.
- Hotmail users complain of missing e-mails - Jan 02, 2011
- Facebook's E-Mail Service is Expected on Monday - Nov 13, 2010
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Under 25s abandoning 'cumbersome' emails for social networking sites - Dec 25, 2010
- 'India has world's youngest internet population' - Feb 24, 2012
- Google unveils social network to challenge Facebook - Jun 29, 2011
- Google has one billion users - Jun 22, 2011
- Windows Phone 7.5 launched in India - Oct 12, 2011
- Young ditch e-mail for social networking sites - Dec 26, 2010
- Software to stop you writing e-mails when drunk - Nov 12, 2010
- Microsoft's Hotmail gets a makeover - May 19, 2010
- Facebook to ask users phone details - Jun 15, 2012
- New web app stops you from tweeting, Facebooking if you are too drunk! - Nov 12, 2010
- 25 million Facebook users in India - Apr 28, 2011
- Canada is the most web-addicted nation on earth - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: analytics, comscore, corporate vice president, facebook, gmail, google, hotmail, inbox, mail service, million unique visitors, new email service, new outlook, personal conversations, preview version, social networks, user interface, web based email, web based email service, web based email services, xinhua