Microsoft offers free trial of Windows 8March 1st, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 1 (IANS) Microsoft gave reviewers and the public their first taste of its revolutionary new operating system Windows 8, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.
Windows 8 will run on tablets as well as desktops and laptops - and is a sea-change for Windows that is seen as a make-or-break opportunity for Microsoft. The free trial was offered Wednesday.
Tablets and cloud computing have made chairman Bill Gates’ vision of “a computer on every desk and in every home” seem quaint - Windows 8 aims to adapt the iconic operating system for life in the mobile world of tablets.
Windows 8 will come in two variations - one that works on desktops and laptops, and a new version for the ARM microprocessors in tablets, smartphones and other portable devices.
There is no set release date, but it’s widely expected to be available in autumn - offering Microsoft Office free on tablets, which could be a “killer app” that puts Windows 8 machines ahead of Apple devices, the newspaper added.
Microsoft’s market capitalisation is now $267 billion.
- Microsoft releases Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Mar 01, 2012
- Acer unveils dual-screen laptop - Nov 25, 2010
- nivio secures $21 million funding - Feb 10, 2012
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- IBM unveils new virtual desktop solution in India - May 11, 2011
- Microsoft reports first loss in 26 years - Jul 20, 2012
- New mobile app developed to monitor data theft - Jul 06, 2012
- Microsoft invites developers to the world's largest app fest at Bangalore - Sep 07, 2012
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Microsoft unveils microchip driven Windows version - Jan 07, 2011
- How Steve Jobs changed the world - Oct 06, 2011
- Smartphones to have computing power of desktops - Jul 17, 2012
- Windows 8 for PCs, tablets next year - May 24, 2011
- Microsoft showcases next version of operating system - Mango - May 25, 2011
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: arm microprocessors, autumn offering, bill gates, chairman bill gates, daily mail, desktops, first taste, killer app, laptops, london march, march 1, market capitalisation, microsoft office, mobile world, new operating system, reviewers, s market, sea change, smartphones, system windows