Metro builds two underground sub-stationsDecember 29th, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) In a first of its kind, Delhi Metro has set up two sub-stations six metres below the ground level that will provide power to the Airport Metro Express Line (AMEL) and the Central Secretariat-Badarpur line, an official said Thursday.
The sub-stations are situated at Luytens zone and the transformers are erected six metres below the ground level, hence it will not hinder the view of the Rashtrapthi Bhavan, Metro Director (Electrical) Satish Kumar said.
“It is for the first time we are coming out with such a sub-station in the city. Transformers have been lowered to six feet while gas insulated switchgear and control room are seven metres below the ground level. A special ventilation arrangement is made,” Kumar said.
According to Metro, a unique layout was made to meet the requirements of the Central Vista Committee (CVC) under the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) which specified that no part of the sub-station could be above ground except the boundary wall.
“It took us about a year to build the two sub-station in a 500 square metre area. It cost around Rs.60 crore. Underground sub-stations are more common abroad as it helps save space. It will not disturb the surroundings,” Kumar said.
Delhi Metro has 14 sub-stations. For Phase III, it will be coming out with nine more sub-stations.
- Larsen and Toubro bags Rs.1,210 crore Qatar project - Jul 20, 2011
- Multi-level car parking for Airport Metro commuters - Feb 06, 2012
- Metro to construct nine power receiving sub-stations - Aug 05, 2012
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- Metro starts trial runs up to Badarpur - Oct 26, 2010
- Delhi Metro's airport line extends its radio cab service - Jan 07, 2012
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- 25 trains to ply on Metro's Central Secretariat-Badarpur route - May 27, 2010
- Six-coach trial run on Delhi-Gurgaon Metro line - Feb 06, 2011
- Delhi Metro starts trial runs on Lajpat Nagar section - Jul 23, 2010
- Airport Metro offers discount this weekend - Dec 08, 2011
- Delhi Metro to dig deeper for tunnels in third phase - Jun 15, 2011
- Airport Metro offers discount on Guru Purab - Nov 09, 2011
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
- Airport Metro goes hi-tech with wi-fi connectivity - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,