Men more likely to be lonely in old ageJune 11th, 2009 - 12:11 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 11 (IANS) Men plan for their financial security in retirement but not for their happiness, according to the latest report. Unless men build social and leisure networks, they could find retirement lonely and isolating.
A survey published in Psychology and Aging revealed that more women than men plan for their health and leisure activities before they stop working. The report’s findings are based on a survey of 377 men and women aged 50-66 years.
According to the report’s co-author and psychologist Dr. Joanne Earl, these findings are significant because “a person’s level of leisure involvement during their working years tends to predict their involvement during retirement”.
“People are less likely to start new activities after retirement, so getting involved in activities and social activities pre-retirement makes good sense”, he added.
The study also found a strong emphasis in society to save money for retirement, but there was no planning of what to spend it on.
Dr. Earl emphasized that the important questions one should answer are “What am I saving for?” and “What do I really want to do when I retire?”
“If working people approaching retirement were helped to answer these types of questions, they could plan more adequately for a satisfying future beyond work.”
- Retired Oz men risk being lonely and isolated - Jun 03, 2009
- Men 'less enthusiastic about work than women': UK study - Jul 01, 2010
- Women involved in leisure activities consume less alcohol - Feb 08, 2011
- 43 percent Americans have less than $10,000 for retirement - Mar 10, 2010
- Russian government wants elderly to work beyond retirement - Jun 22, 2012
- Most elderly Britons feel good spirited - Jul 16, 2011
- Research By Wells Fargo Determines That A Greater Part Of The American Populace Expects To Work Through Retirement - Dec 09, 2010
- Sex Is Important Even For Old Men Aged 70 to 95 - Dec 08, 2010
- Men's confidence on dance floor rises with age: UK study - Jan 21, 2011
- Women really are better at multitasking than men - Jul 18, 2010
- Millions to work beyond retirement age in Britain - Nov 25, 2011
- Leisure 'as important as keeping cholesterol levels in check' - Feb 06, 2011
- People over 75 don't feel lonely: Study - May 29, 2011
- Users surprisingly candid in text messaging - May 17, 2012
- Women crave sex nearly as often as men - Apr 19, 2010