Man-made UFOs may be tomorrow’s urban war zone surveillance aircraftNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:12 am ICT by admin
“You can take it down to a foot in diameter and we are told it is fully scaleable up to a large-sized craft,” said David Steel, director of GFS Projects in Peterborough, England.
“GFS” stands for Geoff’s Flying Saucer, after Geoff Hatton, the engineer and inventor who originally conceived of the idea.
Air flaps around the edge of the saucer prevent it from spinning like a top and allow the controller to steer it.
According to Steel, the saucer is more stable and easier to fly than a helicopter and because it has fewer moving parts than a helicopter, it’s easier to build and maintain.
Fuel efficiency, however, could be an issue, and the reason is that the fan is relatively small and in a confined space and needs to produce high volumes of air.
The batteries don’t last long because the amount of power you convert into thrust is not so great because the efficiency is low.
The U.S. Department of Defence has its eye on the saucer and earlier this year awarded GFS with a contract to demonstrate that the craft could hover and manoeuvre. In fact, the flying saucer did both, flying in winds of more than 10 mph.
This past September, the U.K. Ministry of Defence selected GFS as one of six teams to compete in the Grand Challenge Program, a competition next July for autonomous vehicles.
The saucer will be equipped with cameras and infrared technology to find hidden threats along a designated course. (ANI)
- Aliens monitoring US nuke arsenal, ex-Air Force officers worried - Sep 24, 2010
- North of England becomes 'the world's top hotspot for UFO sightings' - Nov 09, 2010
- Winged insects to inspire nextgen tiny air vehicles - Nov 23, 2010
- Did Hitler's 'secret UFOs' plan to attack London and New York? - Nov 18, 2010
- Bird inspires aircraft that can fly, hover and glide - Jul 03, 2011
- Was Hitler's secret flying saucer going to attack London & New York? - Nov 18, 2010
- Iran creates 'world's first flying saucer' - Mar 18, 2011
- Iran radars can detect drones: Commander - Oct 09, 2011
- Members of military to hold talks in US about UFO encounters - Sep 23, 2010
- Flapless 'Demon' aircraft that use air bursts to fly - Oct 15, 2010
- UFOs expected at royal wedding, says retired Air Force major - Mar 31, 2011
- Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- How hoax of UFOs landing in UK sparked nationwide panic in 1967 - Mar 05, 2011
- ETs and UFOs may attend William's wedding, claims pilot - Mar 31, 2011
- IAF pilots training on VIP helicopters in Britain (With Images) - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: aerial photographs, autonomous vehicles, challenge program, department of defence, disaster areas, efficiency, flying saucer, gfs, grand challenge, helicopter, hidden threats, infrared technology, peterborough england, rescue missions, sized craft, spinning like a top, surveillance aircraft, ufos, urban war zone