Lunar eclipse coincides with winter solstice in 400 yearsDecember 21st, 2010 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 21 (IANS) If the skies are clear just before dawn, you could be treated to the sight of the moon’s surface turning a blood red in the western hemisphere Tuesday.And this is the first time that a lunar eclipse has taken place on the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year - since 1638, so the omens could be particularly strong.
During a lunar eclipse the earth, the sun and the moon are almost exactly in line with one another. As they line up, the earth’s shadow passes across the surface of the full moon, reports the Daily Mail.
The eclipse will occur during daytime in India and will not be visible. It is impossible to predict the colour of a lunar eclipse in advance. On rare occasions it goes entirely black.
But it can appear copper, brown or blood red depending on how far it goes into shadow and whether the atmosphere is polluted with dust from volcanoes.
Since our ancestors first gazed at the night sky, a total lunar eclipse has been regarded as one of the most auspicious events of the celestial calendar.
- Lunar Eclispe Coincides With Winter Solstice After 456 Years - Dec 20, 2010
- Winter solstice to coincide with total lunar eclipse - Dec 18, 2010
- Total lunar eclipse Dec 10 - Dec 06, 2011
- Sky Watchers Enjoy Lunar Eclipse Spectacle - Dec 21, 2010
- India to witness darkest lunar eclipse June 15 - Jun 03, 2011
- India to witness darkest lunar eclipse Wednesday - Jun 14, 2011
- Lunar Eclipse Viewed By Icelanders The Best - Dec 22, 2010
- Watch 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 19, 2012
- The Skygazers Are Waiting For The Rare View: Lunar Eclipse 2010 - Dec 20, 2010
- Skygazers All Set To Witness Lunar Eclipse This Month - Dec 18, 2010
- Lunar Eclipse To Grasp American Skies On Saturday - Jun 26, 2010
- Total lunar eclipse on Saturday - Dec 07, 2011
- India to miss partial solar eclipse - May 31, 2011
- From terrace, nightlong chase for century's darkest eclipse (With Images) - Jun 16, 2011
- Delhiites set to witness darkest lunar eclipse - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: ancestors, atmosphere, celestial calendar, copper brown, daily mail, dawn, day of the year, earth, full moon, India, night sky, omens, rare occasions, shortest day of the year, solstice, sun and the moon, total lunar eclipse, volcanoes, western hemisphere, winter solstice