Log on to platonicpartners.co.uk if you are seeking love sans sexNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
She decided to set up the forum after a close friend of hers attempted suicide because of his sexual impotence.
She has revealed that her friend did not want a future without a loving relationship.
Even when Susie worked as a life coach, she came across many clients who did not want to have sex any more but still sought love and affection.
“I started to do some research into how many people might be in the same boat and the figures suggested it could be as many as five million at any one time,” Timesonline quoted her as saying.
Platonicpartners, which was launched in June, had over 27,000 hits in the first three months. The website currently has 400 members.
According to Susie, celibacy is far more common than it has always been considered, but there is hardly any place where people may visit for a non-physical relationship.
“Our society is so inundated with sexual images, people feel bad and suffer if they don’t want it. I wanted them to know they are not alone,” she said.
The website’s membership is almost equally divided between men and women. Some suffer from medical conditions that rule out sex-men with heart disease or prostate cancer, or women with postmenopausal conditions, whereas others who are not very interested in sex anymore.
The website also has a traffic-light system that warns its members how far prospective partners are willing to go about sex-red colour means no physical contact; amber indicates that kissing, cuddling and maybe light petting is acceptable; and green suggests they will try as much as they are capable of.
Susie says that she has been careful that sexual predators and deviants do not misuse the website, and that she screens all applications and messages.
“I go through all the applications myself and if I have any doubts at all I contact them under the pretext of checking some small fact or other to see if they are legitimate,” she said.
Christine Lacy of Relate, the relationship counselling service, says that Susie’s forum is likely to have a considerable demand.
She, however, insists that relationships without sex do not always work.
“I do think it possible to have an intimate relationship without sex. There are numerous cases where both members of a couple are happy to give up sex,” she said.
“Other cases involve one member of the couple no longer wanting to have sex and the other saying that they will stay with them. However, that can make relationships vulnerable,” she added. (ANI)
- Miss USA speaks about her ordeal at the hands of a TSA agent - Apr 28, 2011
- Sex is the price women pay for relationships: Stephen Fry - Oct 31, 2010
- Sex therapist says Oz men struggle with rejection in bedroom - Mar 26, 2011
- When Thurman felt like a sex object - Aug 21, 2012
- Katherine Heigl says she is a loyal wife - Jan 22, 2012
- Meet the woman who has had cyber sex with 60 online 'lovers' - Oct 23, 2010
- Cheryl Cole supports same-sex marriage - Jun 16, 2012
- Brandy says she's not had sex in years - Oct 22, 2010
- Website helps find look-alike soul mate! - Aug 30, 2011
- Lady Gaga avoids sex to protect her 'creativity'! - Aug 03, 2010
- Mel B can't stop talking about sex - Jan 01, 2011
- Kim Cattrall decided to stop stripping on screen after turning 50 - May 29, 2010
- Brit homosexual men can donate blood if they did not have sex for decade - Apr 11, 2011
- Secrets about Rihanna's 'lesbian love affair' revealed - Jan 31, 2011
- Chinese students don't know much about safe sex - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: attempted suicide, celibacy, celibate, contact, inundated, kissing cuddling, life coach, loving relationship, physical relationship, physical relationships, prospective partners, prostate cancer, red colour, sex men, sexual images, sexual impotence, sexual predators, susie king, timesonline, traffic light system