‘Lifetime plans should be offered till telecom permit allows’September 5th, 2012 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) Lifetime mobile tariff plans offered by telecom operators are valid as long as the operator is permitted to provide such service under the licence, Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said Wednesday.
“Any tariff plan presented, marketed or offered as valid for any prescribed period exceeding six months or as having lifeline or unlimited validity in lieu of an upfront payment shall continue to be available to the subscriber for the duration of the period as prescribed in the plan and in case of lifetime or unlimited plans, as long as the service provider is permitted to provide such telecom service under the current licence or renewed licence,” Deora said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
“The service providers are also prohibited from changing tariffs to the disadvantage of the consumers during the validity period promised in the plan,” he added.
Deora was referring to the guidelines issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to protect the interest of lifetime plan consumers.
- Rs.2.15 lakh crore collected as spectrum, licence fee - Aug 17, 2011
- Maintain quality of service: TRAI to operators - Mar 26, 2012
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- Keep consumers in loop on charges: Telecom regular - Jan 06, 2012
- Ensure transparency in tariff ads, TRAI tells operators - Mar 26, 2012
- Government disconnects 51,000 telephone connections - Aug 17, 2012
- TRAI seeks industry view on mobile tariff cap - Feb 06, 2012
- TRAI move to simplify call tariffs will increase mobile usage - Oct 17, 2010
- TRAI issues notices to operators for violating norms - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: consumers, duration, lifeline, lifetime plan, Lok Sabha, minister of state, New Delhi, reply, service provider, service providers, six months, tariff plan, tariffs, telecom operators, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom service, trai, upfront payment, validity period