Last chance to view the SupernovaSeptember 7th, 2011 - 10:24 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, Sept 7 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Space watchers around the world will have the last chance to take a look at the new supernova on the 8th of September. The supernova is located near the Big Dipper and it is estimated to be the closest to earth. It is located just 21 million light years away and it is the brightest supernova of its kind to have ever been discovered.
The space object was discovered by scientists from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of California. The discovery was made late last month. Scientists say the body is getting brighter by the day and it will be brightest on the 8th of September.
It has been described as the Supernova of a generation and it can be viewed with a pair of binoculars. Several people have watched the planetary phenomena.
Wikipedia defines supernova as “a stellar explosion that is more energetic than a nova. It has the plural supernovae or supernovas. Supernovae are extremely luminous and cause a burst of radiation that often briefly outshines an entire galaxy, before fading from view over several weeks or months.”
There has been several other supernovas but this is the brightest in the last 30 years.
- Supernova 2008am is brightest 'self-interacting' supernova yet discovered - Mar 29, 2011
- Massive supernova visible from Earth - Sep 09, 2011
- Supernova remnant erupts in enormous flares - May 12, 2011
- Jupiter came closest to Earth on Monday - Sep 21, 2010
- Exploding stars reveal never-before seen patterns - Dec 04, 2010
- Comet McNaught closest to Earth next week - Jun 11, 2010
- Treat for sky gazers, comet closest to Earth Tuesday - Jun 14, 2010
- Asteroid 2005 yu55 to pass close to Earth today - Nov 08, 2011
- Crab Nebula shoots off surprising flares - Jan 07, 2011
- Astronomers find 'defiant' new supernova - May 20, 2010
- Nobel laureate predicts a dark universe - Aug 24, 2012
- Massive star goes supernova, smothered by its own dust - Oct 13, 2010
- New York teen discovers weakest supernova ever seen - Jun 11, 2009
- Get ready to see planet triangle, Moon, asteroid sky show - Aug 12, 2010
- Scientist to make stellar observations aboard Boeing 747 - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,